Kelly L. Green, Ph.D.
A
1/3 As you’ve observed, suicide is often as much about structural factors (like financial support or housing) as it is about individual factors (like chronic illness or social support). This is especially true in marginalized populations, like those with disabilities.
Margaret ♿ @Cannibaccess
Suicide prevention among disabled populations & those living with chronic illness would be interesting. I know many who have died due to unmanaged chronic pain and lack of social support leading to extreme isolation and destitution.
11:18 AM - Mar 17, 2023
12:04 PM - Mar 17, 2023
Forest .
A
In response to Kelly L. Green, Ph.D..
Chronic pain/PTSD haver here. I know many people with chronic pain and all of them have childhood trauma+suicidal ideation/behaviors off and on (me too). If we could have better access to care/housing+be taken seriously by more professionals/gov it'd save lives. Thank u for your work!
04:31 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Kelly L. Green, Ph.D.
A
2/3 True #SuicidePrevention has to focus on both and we need a lot more advocacy and pressure for moving the needle on structural change.
12:04 PM - Mar 17, 2023
Kelly L. Green, Ph.D.
A
3/3 Suicide prevention in people with disabilities is under-studied. My colleague Dr. Lauren Khazem, is currently conducting a study of a suicide prevention therapy delivered via telehealth for adults with disabilities in the U.S. Here is her Twitter thread with more info: https://bit.ly/42iVykh
12:05 PM - Mar 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}