Myron Clifton
A
thread 1/12
There’s an interesting divide on the Jasmine Crockett rebuttal to the unprovoked attack on her by Marjorie Green, and it’s one that like most issues in America is divided by race.

Black women and men side with Rep Jasmine, especially BW who are sick of attacks on their bodies.
01:23 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 2/12
Attacks by everyone but especially by WW.

The co-opting of BW thickness, lips, hips, hair & makeup, while simultaneously denigrating the same features in BW.

The laws against BW hair that necessitated the Crown Act.

And BW proclaiming their preference for bear & ww anger at that.
01:24 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 3/12
All the stuff we all know.

But now add what some white gay folk, mostly lesbian, to believe is a homophobic element to Rep Jasmine’s clapback-

“Butch” and the complexity of the disagreement deepens for some white gay folk.

For *me, I haven’t seen any similar concerns from Black/POC gay folk
01:25 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 4/12
I’ve written before how Black language is sharper more direct extra cutting and will spare no one -whether in humor or anger or in what we call “The dozens”

It’s familiar, it’s church, it’s street, it’s salon & barbershop all combined, and it’s understood within our community.
01:25 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 5/12
It’s not for the faint of heart.

Generally speaking white Americans "are the faint of heart" who speak in a different less direct and specific way.

Black people understand Will Smith saying, “Don’t start nothing won’t be nothing.”

That’s a promise, a threat, a joke, a warning.
01:26 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 6/12
White people have “Bless your heart” as one example that conveys similar ideas but less direct etc.

Rep Jasmine didn’t start it but she finished it. That’s Black.

Marge started it but then leaned on the “Rules of (white) decorum” and (white) power" to shut down Rep Jasmine
01:26 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 7/12
Then Marge sat back and watched more people run to her protection than to support Rep Jasmine for standing her ground.

No surprise.

WM especially as American history tells us.. "When white women cry, Black people die."

Not only conservative wm either. Looking at you, Fetterman.
01:27 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 8/12
And now white gay folk are not happy with “Butch” being used.

-I’m of the thought as many have said, she wanted to use “Bytch” but white America wouldn’t imploded and she knew that.
01:28 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 9/12
I’ve written before that we know that every ally has a line w/us.

White gay men side w/supremacy with depressing frequency. White gay women less so

Black LGBTQI are on an island of brutal isolation from the community they love & support but which too often won’t protect them.
01:28 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 10/12
I know a straight person using “butch” can be homophobic and I’ll respect folk who take issue with it.

I don’t take issue with Rep Jasmine protecting herself from a vile attack by a ww while she was at work on camera, and using it to demonstrate the hypocrisy of the "rules"
01:29 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 11/12
Look at the attacks on her education/hair/language

I don’t believe Rep Jasmine is homophobic. She’s smart enough to know words matter

She knows her worth & the worth of BW/girls watching her & who are enduring worse everyday at home/school/work & online where they are the most attacked demographic
01:31 PM - May 18, 2024
Myron Clifton
A
thread 12/12
I’ll end with this.

LGBTQI folk are necessarily sensitive. Give them grace.

Black women -including LGBTQI Black women - are necessarily sensitive, defensive, and ready to “GO IN” if anyone wants to “Go there.”

Give them grace.

Don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing.
01:32 PM - May 18, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}