Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 1/5
Thread:

I once went to a political fundraiser where the headliner was the great comic Barry Crimmins. He did an unforgettable long-form set about the difference between liberals & the Right.

Why do liberals so often devolve into circular firing squads while R's grin & vote in a bloc?

Trauma.
03:48 PM - May 18, 2024 (Edited)
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 2/5
Crimmins said the Left is full of people who grew up with abuse, decided to leave it, & vowed to let no oppression go unanswered. But unhealed trauma made it easy for Holy Wars to break out between factions until everyone was standing on their own little ice floe because you can't fix everything.
03:48 PM - May 18, 2024
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 3/5
Meanwhile the Right is full of people who have repressed abuse, identify with the oppressor as Authority for safety, & do their best not to interrogate reality. They cheerily answer phones "Republican Party!" smiling as the Left is growling "Greenpeace!" like a curse word & searching for a fight
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 4/5
This long routine, that spent a lot of time on childhood sexual abuse, has stayed with me for 40+ years.

So when I see a SM space that only months ago people were hailing as a Utopia on Earth devolving into factions and drama and who is allowed to say what & when & why, I think of this.
Linda Eisenstein
A
thread 5/5
We need each other. We need to give each other grace. We are all damaged. Most of us are fighting our own demons. And we need to be allies across our cultural differences.

Because the alternative is Terrible, Awful, Horrible. It is Moloch, Mordor, Mount Doom.

Please take a breath.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}