Mary OContrary
A
Who was raised under a religion that as an adult you no longer identify with? What was the turning point for you? I was raised Southern Baptist and for me it was after being told Mother Teresa would go to hell because she hadn't cited a very specific prayer asking to be saved. /1

#echo
11:37 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Dan
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
I was an every Sunday Catholic and CCD through the week growing up, when I reached my Senior year in high school, church became a CULT to me, Sit, Stand, Kneel, Recitations, Obey, couldn't understand why it was OK in church and no one else was allowed, if so you were in a Cult, a little hypocritical
10:47 AM - Feb 12, 2023 (Edited)
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Dan.
Protestant denominations are equally guilty of this, condemning all who believe differently and very loose with calling other religions a cult.
10:56 AM - Feb 12, 2023 (Edited)
I’mthatgurl @lahdidahbaby
A
Roman Catholic, became a cafeteria Catholic in my 20’s. I didn’t return to mass until I had kids. I went to confession and was told that I was banned from penance, holy Eucharist because I was living in sin. Why? My husband and I were married by a judge instead of the church. I cried. That was it.
09:29 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to I’mthatgurl @lahdidahbaby.
If the Catholic Church is so intent upon applying a purity test, perhaps they should begin by looking in the mirror.

I’m sorry that happened to you.
09:48 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Patricia Hagen
A
Whaaaat! She prayed wrong? I was exposed to Mormons and Christianity. I never could get on board with any of it. I'm more of a karma, good intention, positive vibes to the universe kinda gal.
12:19 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Patricia Hagen.
Right? A woman who loved God with her whole heart and dedicated a lifetime in the service of others was condemned to hell. That did not compute with me and opened the door to question many other things. My beliefs have evolved quite a bit since those days.
12:22 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Matthew
A
I went to a Christian Church of England Primary School (age 4-11yrs), although my family is not very religious. Every day we'd have an assembly to sing hymns and end with prayer, and say grace at lunch. I can recall when I was 6 or 7 in assembly & had the thought, what if I don't believe in this?
12:16 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Matthew.
We all should have that freedom to question and explore and find what resonates with us. Sounds like you knew at a young age how to exercise critical thinking skills.
12:27 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Alexandra Thornton
A
For me it started in catechism class the day I lost a pet. My instructor said my pet had no soul & was not in heaven. I was 9 & saw the difference between the teachings of love & that woman. Then got older & learned the history of the Catholic Church. It’s about as far from holy as one can get.
12:09 PM - Feb 09, 2023 (Edited)
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Alexandra Thornton.
I remember also being told very young that animals as a whole did not have souls. Having experienced the unconditional love of a dog, that did not resonate with me and raised a lot of questions.
12:18 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Katrina McGinnis
A
I don’t recall a specific event that led me away from Christianity or organized religion. It was a slow realization that too many folks were using religion as a podium for cruelty, punishment, excess. I became Baha’i. And now, I don’t relate to any formal religion. Consider myself spiritual now.
10:37 AM - Feb 09, 2023
yesthatkristie
A
1/2: I wish I could keep this short and still meaningful. Raised Catholic. Lived and breathed it. Held leadership positions in Catholic education. But I - and others - had to leave those positions because we got divorced. Leave a toxic, unhealthy relationship and suddenly I'm not welcome? Buh-bye.
09:10 AM - Feb 09, 2023
yesthatkristie
A
In response to yesthatkristie.
2/2: There's more, ofc. Women in leadership? Ha. Coverups of sex abuse *continue*. TBH - I could deal with much of it til.. the separations of families at the border. The cruelest voices about how they deserved it...sat piously in front pews. No words of justice or mercy from the front. I'm just OUT
09:14 AM - Feb 09, 2023
ZoeMama BettyO.
A
Catholicism. Went away to college and had the opportunity to meet others from different religions. The Catholic rituals became a turn off.
09:09 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to ZoeMama BettyO..
When something doesn't resonate with you, let it go. When it does, sing it with your whole heart.
11:40 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Carol D ☮️
A
Recovering Southern Baptist. Weirdly, I realize now that the starting point was when, as a teenager, I suggested an event to raise funds for a local children’s charity & was told we weren’t allowed to do that. Realized later it was because it wasn’t an event designed to recruit new members... 🙄
09:05 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Stig & The Grumble
A
I was raised Jehovah's Witness and ditched that around 1985 before they got to disfellowship me for having the sexy time with my JW girlfriend.
09:05 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Stig & The Grumble.
I love it!
11:41 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Long Haul Voter - Tasha
A
Me. Raised Baptist/Catholic, swung more Catholics as an adult, left them both over treatment of women and abuse coverups. My faith is a blend of many now 🤷🏽‍♀️
08:56 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Long Haul Voter - Tasha.
Bits of truth can be found in every faith. My guiding principle is, "Does this reflect love...or does this reflect fear?". If the answer is love, I trust that it's right. If the answer is fear, I know it's not.

I choose to extend love rather than project fear.
11:47 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Dave Plus Coffee (he/him)
A
I was raised Lutheran (Missouri Synod), and .. I'm gay. lol bye ✌️
08:49 AM - Feb 09, 2023
junerose32
B
Rampant priest pedophilia and blind eye from above.
08:46 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Angel None
A
🙋‍♀️
01:14 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Farnad Darnell
A
Raised Mormon. In my late 20s I read the Koran and Talmud for confirmation of all religions being bullshit. Haven't turned back since. More to the story, but this should suffice
10:32 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Paiyslee
B
Me!!!
09:44 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Paiyslee.
It seems to be trending. I find all these shared experiences fascinating.
09:51 PM - Feb 08, 2023

Only followers of this user (MaryPocrnic) can see their posts

Mary OContrary
A
In response to Jane Austen's RomCom Mistress.
You were advanced for your age. Never underestimate the intuition of a child.
09:33 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Chad Schobert, O.D.
A
Raised evangelical, was comfortable as I'm a white cis het male, so have all the privilege, but couldn't get over the cognitive dissonance of a bible that fails under scrutiny and is clearly not divine or particularly moral.
07:52 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Carlton Sears
A
Raised Episcopalian. In college studied eastern religious traditions and mysticism deeply. At a dark time, opened the Bible by chance to Romans 8:28-32. Relief was immediate. I've since simply searched the Bible for its' truth on its' own terms through several denomination affiliations.
05:48 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Carlton Sears.
/1 Very powerful verse that tells us that even when we may perceive things as "bad", we can trust that all things are working together for good even if we can't see the bigger picture in order to recognize this. Another way of saying, "God works in mysterious ways".
07:19 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Carlton Sears.
/2 I believe gems of truth like this one can be found in just about every religious text, and that no one religion offers the whole truth and nothing but the truth. God or Spirit or Universe or whatever you want to call it, was intended for everyone, not only for a select few.
07:23 PM - Feb 08, 2023

Only followers of this user (ConnieAz) can see their posts

Patrick Dockens
A
Raised Roman Catholic, but my family wasn't very serious and gave me room to go my own way. No real aha moment, just a slow build to non-belief. My mom isn't very happy with my atheism, though.
05:36 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Patrick Dockens.
/1 Moms always worry about their kids even long after they've reached adulthood. The only approval you need is your own. When we fully and completely give that to ourselves, we no longer need the approval of others and are free.
06:56 PM - Feb 08, 2023 (Edited)
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Patrick Dockens.
/2 I don't believe in a God in the sky. I do believe we each have souls and are interconnected. We are all energy, and energy does not die. It simply transforms into a different form of energy.
06:57 PM - Feb 08, 2023
William Tulloch
A
Had the exact mirror experience when my 8th grade CCD (Catholic education for us sinners going to public school) teacher told me not only were my Southern Baptist relatives going to Hell, they deserved it, because they'd been exposed to "true religion" via my family and still rejected God.
01:32 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to William Tulloch.
One side of my family was Southern Baptist and the other side was Catholic. Made for some very interesting weddings where they mostly sat on opposite sides of the aisle. 🤷🏻‍♀️
01:35 PM - Feb 08, 2023

Only followers of this user (BanBillionaires) can see their posts

Mary OContrary
A
In response to GARY ROWE.
Good for you for exercising critical thinking skills and not being afraid to question a doctrine that defies basic logic.
01:14 PM - Feb 08, 2023
?Raven333
A
After a priest told me that my baby, born with Spina Bífida, was born this way cuz he and I were both sinners. Started backing away…
12:44 PM - Feb 08, 2023
SusieQ
A
In response to ?Raven333.
Omg, I’ve never heard of something so awful. Things like this make me glad I quit the Catholic Church & became an atheist. I hope you knew better & didn’t let him define you. I’m hoping your baby got surgery if needed & everything turned out fine. Sending positive vibes your way. Peace
10:16 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Julie B
A
In response to ?Raven333.
a woman I have the utmost personal and professional respect for truly believes her toddler son needed a liver transplant because she had sinned. Her son is grown and doing well, but this belief - the God she worships made her baby sick because she did {something??} is so very sad.
09:19 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Ellie Kane
A
Raised under Catholicism and evangelical Christianity (I know what a combo)

Eventually worked out i could never be ‘saved’ and I would always be blamed for not ‘submitting’ enough to not be trans.

Worked out that it was gaslighting and indoctrination so just learned to accept myself instead
12:44 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Ellie Kane.
Amen to that and congratulations on your courage to be your authentic self! And now here you are in this amazing community where you will find plenty of love and support.
01:05 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Patricia Bossano, author #FirstWave
A
Recovering catholic here... still unlearning some of the heavier lessons. The arrogance of a church that herds people into stagnant ignorance was the last straw for me.
If the pope is infallible, why doesn't he 'update' the teachings of the church? If he doesn't, extinction awaits, like the GOP.
12:17 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Jay Mara
A
Catholic -at some point I realized Christianity was the religion of the oppressor and never looked back.
12:05 PM - Feb 08, 2023
Cheri B
A
I could not reconcile the fact that my religion taught smokers were evil & my best friend was a smoker. I was a Reagan Rep & it was my turning point in '87. Never regretted or turned back.
11:52 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Nevada Jones
A
Stories like these make me grateful that my parents raised me without religion.
11:51 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Julie B
A
I could not reconcile "God knit you together in your mothers womb" and "Homosexuality is not in itself a sin, but acting on it is" with a loving God. What monster would knit you together and then send you to hell for living authentically?
11:43 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Julie B
A
In response to Julie B.
the absolute final straw was when they taught the crucifixion story to my sweet 4 year old. He didn't even know there were mean people in the world yet, and he was traumatized. He is 20 now, and doesn't remember it, but this mama is still appalled that brutality was shared.
11:45 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Julie B.
I have so much to say about this that I can't possibly get in under 300 characters. I'll say it again, though. Jesus practiced perfect love. By that I mean, he made no exceptions. When we learn to stop finding ourselves and each other guilty, we will have learned perfect love.
11:49 AM - Feb 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}