Dave Painchaud
A
There are some very bright people/podcasts that seem to think it’s possible/preferable to be neutral on political topics. It’s a belief in a sort neutral absolutism in order to be “fair” or to not offend anyone. It might be genuine but I think it’s a mistake. Journalism requires some moral center.
09:40 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Linda the scandi
A
In response to Dave Painchaud.
It's a huge mistake and how we got Trump in the first place
09:45 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Dave Painchaud
A
In response to Linda the scandi.
I wasn’t thinking about in that context, but you’re absolutely right. I think that example is more connected to the profit motive than the neutrality absolutism thing - it IS very connected to the present dysfunction of the NY Times.
09:50 PM - Apr 01, 2023
beverly bochenek
A
The problem is fairness and truth don't always align. Certainy fairness and justice don't. Presenting twos sides doesn't mean those sides have to be displayed equally. But they should be displayed truthfully and sometimes one side is just wrong.
09:43 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Dave Painchaud
A
In response to beverly bochenek.
Well said. Giving air to the views of bad actors isn’t necessarily being fair. I suppose the thing that journalism seems to have lost is the need to work in the public interest. Thanks for this reply - it’s a really smart response.
09:47 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Dıanna
A
Wasn't it Dante who said that the hottest places in hell were reserved for those who, during tines of great moral crises, maintained their neutrality?
09:43 PM - Apr 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}