Noel Marie
A
I wish "building the middle class" meant ensuring that people who have been kept out of the middle class could access economic opportunity. It's really something that basically saying "I support people who are doing kinda OK or better" is a standard, mostly unchallenged political talking point.
10:34 PM - Apr 02, 2023 (Edited)
AliciA Nicole
A
In response to Noel Marie.
Interesting. I kind of assumed that your definition was what it meant, otherwise what's the point?
10:36 PM - Apr 02, 2023
Noel Marie
A
In response to AliciA Nicole.
It's entirely possible that I hear it with a cynical ear lol, but it has always sounded to me like shoring up the existing middle rather than expanding access to the middle.
10:55 PM - Apr 02, 2023
AliciA Nicole
A
I won't pretend to be an expert on this, but if that's the case we're doing it all wrong. The goal should be a diverse expansion, especially to include those who have been unable to attain that status to date. The reasons are many and complex, but still - that's the goal in my mind.
In response to Noel Marie.
10:58 PM - Apr 02, 2023
Noel Marie
A
In response to AliciA Nicole.
Given that 40% of kids in the US spend at least a year living below poverty level (currently less than $25k for a family of 3), we're definitely doing it all wrong!
11:16 PM - Apr 02, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}