Brendan Koerner
A
The older my kids get, the more harrowing and joyless the world of youth sports becomes.
11:27 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Cori
A
In response to Brendan Koerner.
Couldn't agree more. High school is the worst. My fave is when my kid had to miss a game for a robotics world championship (competing against 58 countries!!) and was then benched upon return as penalty while "star player" went on a family vacation to the beach, missed 3 games yet played immediately
06:19 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Devorah Kennedy
A
For all the concern about the difficulties of young men these days one has to wonder why there haven't been more studies of the contribution of changes in youth sports to their difficulties. Comments here point to some of the ways in which the joy has been taken out of sports for young people.
02:28 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Jennifer Moyer
A
omg no kidding. daughter started software at age 8 and went through varsity in HS - she tells me now how unhappy she was. lord knows i would have enjoyed a little less entire-weekend-at-travel-tournaments.
12:27 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
In response to Jennifer Moyer.
Coaches have zero interest in kids who aren't 100-percent committed to "the program." If you fall behind, if you're a late bloomer, if there's some specific skill you still need to hone—it's over. It's such a grind.
12:47 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
It was bad enough awhile back when my son was playing CYO basketball many, many years ago. Made the mistake of agreeing to do the clock, then making the rookie mistake of watching the game rather than the ref. Parent yells "that guy cost us 4 seconds!!!". 😕
12:00 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
In response to Stewart Tan.
I coached CYO basketball for a couple of years. My point guard's dad once got T'd up for continuing to yell at the ref after being warned.
12:16 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Shani
A
Oof, yes. I recommend rugby. The best people.
11:38 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
In response to Shani.
Wish we had it here! My son played Gaelic football when we lived in a big city, but now we're in the boonies and the closest club is an hour away.
11:45 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
In response to Shani.
Great craic.
01:36 PM - Feb 09, 2023
J MurchPond
A
Yeah, when the high school coach starts by telling the team "don’t tell your parents about this…" (He’s no longer employed.)
11:36 AM - Feb 09, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
In response to J MurchPond.
Honestly, it's the travel teams that are the worst. The coaches are volunteers yet take it waaaaayyyy too seriously. They suck the creativity out the kids in order to implement their systems.
11:47 AM - Feb 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}