Lil
A
As a local govt employee, I had to figure out what to do with ... wait for it ... a Kit Kat bar given to me by a grateful library patron. I ended up putting it in the break room.

Sure, seems a bit extreme, but I was always under the infraction microscope as a union leader.
01:34 PM - Apr 07, 2023
Maggie S
A
In response to Lil.
Thank you. I was a local govt employee for 35 years, required to take an ethics class & submit a written disclosure annually. Not allowed to have anyone pay for lunches or dinners, certainly not travel. It was always stressed to remember that the APPEARANCE of a conflict was as serious as an actual
01:52 PM - Apr 07, 2023
Lil
A
In response to Maggie S.
Exactly. Ethical employees strive to avoid even a hint or whiff of being "bought."
02:43 PM - Apr 07, 2023
DeucesWild Bear
A
In response to Lil.
As a 25 year local government employee, I often ate lunch at local restaurants. When owners would offer a discount (they were trying to be nice), I would politely thank them, decline, & then explain I never wanted anyone to ever accuse me of taking a bribe. Clarence Thomas should be impeached.
01:39 PM - Apr 07, 2023
Tracy Rose-Erickson
A
In response to DeucesWild Bear.
Absolutely. I spent 34 years as a federal employee and wasn’t allowed nor would I have accepted gifts. It’s unethical no matter what he says. Close friends you spend time with doesn’t change the fact that the appearance of compromise is what matters. He didn’t report it cause he knew it was wrong.
02:49 PM - Apr 07, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
In response to DeucesWild Bear.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
02:58 PM - Apr 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}