Thurgood Du Bois
A
What say you #Spoutible ?
02:22 PM - Apr 08, 2023
Lisse (she/her)
A
In response to Thurgood Du Bois.
This is inappropriate material for this level. Particularly now. I had to do something similar, but it was higher level Psychology classes for my minor. Asking kids to face their mortality, in the midst of a gun crisis and school shootings, is cruel.
04:54 PM - Apr 08, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
I bet he got fired not because of the obituary part of the assignment, but because he asked them to think about mass shootings and the need for drills. Anything to normalize these phenomena, and to demand that students shouldn't question authority -- or, indeed, anything.
04:15 PM - Apr 08, 2023
Carole Tyler
A
"He said he felt the assignment would help students reflect on their lives."

Pretty sure they wake up every day doing that in America, knowing they're about to step into "sitting duck" mode in a classroom.
03:36 PM - Apr 08, 2023
AbbiSeattle1
A
It further traumatizes the kids who shouldn’t be scared to go to school. Awful idea, imho.
03:12 PM - Apr 08, 2023
MJL
A
High school psychology teacher. I think it's appropriate. Certainly by high school, students need to look at existential issues. Students need reality checks and also books that help them question and reason. I watched the Killing Fields in high school. I felt like I was finally seeing the truth.
02:38 PM - Apr 08, 2023
George Carlin Was Right
A
They've already run out of teachers, it's going to get a LOT worse... Soon, no OBGYN's, GP's, FNP's, PA's. The brain drain will hopefully some day bring the state to it's knees.
02:35 PM - Apr 08, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
Probationary & non-union? Berner or MAGAT, definitely a wingnut. Antisocial & cruel behavior. Obituaries are for freshman journalism in college.
02:28 PM - Apr 08, 2023
Deb Grojean (one on the left)
A
Brilliant.
02:26 PM - Apr 08, 2023
Mea Cadwell
A
I can see both sides but, when it comes down to it, I feel the teacher could have had the students reflect on their lives in a different way.
02:24 PM - Apr 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}