AliciA Nicole
A
I've been away for a bit more than usual because I'm helping my widowed mother move into a 55+ community. It's exhausting. She's worse than my 5 year old about giving stuff up.

I'm at my patience end and there's a crap more to do.

I also want to get rid of half my stuff.

Help! Advice. Genie...
09:38 PM - Apr 10, 2023 (Edited)
Jill Richardson
A
In response to AliciA Nicole.
Are there any local veterans or domestic violence shelters that need donations for apartments? Maybe that could be an approach if she’s able to help outfit a new home for someone (and a potentially large drop off for you). When we had to consolidate 2 houses, we had so many duplicates.
10:04 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Staci
A
I have an elder who can't picture/remember very well, so part of her fear is that she doesn't KNOW if she needs/uses xyz. And doesn't want me to make decisions for her. I plan to offer to store most of her stuff for a year so I can retrieve anything she actually misses.
10:00 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Staci
A
In response to Staci.
Then she can get moved, and I can group like items and bring a box at a time to her to go thru together. Less overwhelming, and hopefully easier to visualize, bc she'll already be living in the new space and have her essentials. It's so frustrating. Good luck!!!
10:02 PM - Apr 10, 2023
AliciA Nicole
A
In response to Staci.
Wish I'd thought of this years ago. Smart!
10:08 PM - Apr 11, 2023
Billsabum
A
Check out Freecycle.org and search to see if you have a local town group. The network has over 5,000 local groups, so odds are you have one nearby.
10:00 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
My Buy Nothing FB group is like magic. Neighbors get what they need and on the rare occasion I need something replaced - like when my kitchen shears broke this week - folks come through. Look into it.
09:44 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Klobby L
A
I went through this with my mom. I have a garage full of her stuff as a result. 🥴
09:40 PM - Apr 10, 2023
AliciA Nicole
A
In response to Klobby L.
The amount of times I've said, "No mom. We don't need it either. Please let it go."

I could have a decent check coming if paid by volume!
09:42 PM - Apr 10, 2023
C. E.
A
Who said sainthood was going to be easy!? 😂😇
09:39 PM - Apr 10, 2023
AliciA Nicole
A
In response to C. E..
Totally overrated. Also curse of eldest kid, my siblings are not nearly as helpful...
09:41 PM - Apr 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}