ChristyK
A
I'm spending this evening reading through 1819 - 1820s British newspapers. Besides this one about the schoolmaster, I've gotten distracted by reports of a trial questioning what constitutes incitement to violence against the government.
ChristyK @ChristyK
I found an 1819 letter to the editor from a school teacher in Britain wanting to know if his having his students do marching and sword fighting would get him in trouble with the recently passed laws preventing secret training - laws meant to prevent radicals from being able to gather and organize.
08:36 PM - Apr 12, 2023
09:50 PM - Apr 12, 2023
IMO
A
In response to ChristyK.
That sounds like a blast, so much to learn!
09:55 PM - Apr 12, 2023
ChristyK
A
In response to IMO.
It is fun. One of the fun things is that the trial is about the wife of a man I had previously read quite a bit about, and it talks about what her husband wrote about the Cato-street Conspiracy. I've been reading about the Cato-Street Conspiracy recently, in a different context.
09:58 PM - Apr 12, 2023
IMO
A
In response to ChristyK.
Is that a subscription like newspapers.com? Or from a library or ?

That gives me something to research! Fantastic!
10:09 PM - Apr 12, 2023
ChristyK
A
In response to IMO.
Right now I have a subscription to the (London) Times, in order to view their archives. I also use hathitrust.org quite a bit.
10:10 PM - Apr 12, 2023
ChristyK
A
In response to IMO.
I share a lot of my notes on my Facebook page. The woman I'm reading about tonight is the wife of Richard Carlile. At one point I did a series of posts about his Rotunda Theatre. https://www.facebook.com/H...
10:12 PM - Apr 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}