David Corn
A
Hey Spouters, here is a scoop I had a few days ago about Clarence Thomas' Nazi-collecting benefactor. Hope you all got to see it. The piece reveals a 2019 letter in which Harlan Crow defended his collection of Nazi knick-knacks. Let me know what you think.

https://www.motherjones.co...
02:51 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Jinxy's staff
A
In response to David Corn.
The "just apologize after the fact" crowd...

We really, really need to stop accepting their apologies. Sorry just isn't good enough when it comes to certain things, like genocide, attempting to overthrow a legally-elected government or hob-nobbing with Nazis.

FFS
04:38 PM - Sep 17, 2023
(Not that kinda)Dr J
A
Ok, I know the main headline here is the Nazi souvenirs — but plenty have already addressed that. So I’d just like to comment Sitting Bull’s death mask. That seems like a sacred artifact that should be with a Native community for proper preservation of their history, not in some white dude’s parlor.
10:46 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Caryl D
A
Welcome
12:47 AM - Jul 26, 2023
Dan Ehrenkrantz
A
Here's a story from last month about Harlan's brother Trammell being named in a sex trafficking lawsuit. Innocent until proven guilty, but it's been a tough few months for the Crow family.

https://dallasexpress.com/...
12:17 PM - Apr 19, 2023 (Edited)
Penny
A
Crow claimed his collection was not intended to promote naziism or slavery, but to educate on "bad and good" history.It makes me wonder how arch conservative Crow feels about his party's move to ban this country's "bad" history of slavery or genocide of Native Americans being taught in our schools.
01:10 PM - Apr 16, 2023
Wedge
A
It's wild to me how Thomas never considered that this new mysterious friend that sidled up to him AFTER he became a Supreme Court Justice may have been intentional. Curiously uncurious.
08:44 AM - Apr 16, 2023
Steve Rogers
A
In response to Wedge.
I'm sure he considered it, just before he took Crow up on his invitation to fly on his private jet for an all-expenses paid dream vacation with Crow and given several ludicrously expensive gifts. That's when he just knew Harlan Crow would make a great new bff.
01:01 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
Interesting how wealthy white men are so accustom to “both siding” their depraved interests and actions with little effort or concern. This needs to change, it is changing, and they’re mighty perturbed by it. Make him think hard about this collection every day of the rest of his life.
09:27 AM - Apr 15, 2023
EVA DIAZ
A
Would've been nice had the commission spoken up more vociferously in real time. Protecting democracy will require shedding the timidity and tepidness of that post-facto response to Crow. And will require due diligence prior to any engagement with fascists who wish to politely co-opt our democracy.
02:20 AM - Apr 15, 2023
Susan Leonard
A
Welcome to the pod!
01:55 AM - Apr 15, 2023
pvdavid
A
Great report. Extremely disturbing. Is there no other way to impeach a Supreme Court justice since we know that we will never get a majority in Congress?
11:31 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Camara Reed she/her/we/us
A
Crow is breathtakingly evil. Clearly he’s groomed Thomas to be his personal SCOTUS ho. His gross collection makes me wonder if his goal is for Thomas’s death mask to eventually be added as a nod to “man’s inhumanity to man.” The ultimate irony. In a true democracy both men would do some hard time.
11:31 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
An excellent read, @DavidCorn , as always from your "pen". But,the more we find out abt Thomas &his donors,the more it wld seem he's been not only criminally remiss in his actions,but he's morally bankrupt as well. IMHO,he shld never hv bn put on SCOTUS in the 1st place&shld be impeached/removed now.
08:31 PM - Apr 14, 2023
PhoenixWomanMN
A
I'm fascinated by your description of the efforts made to whitewash and neutralize his Third Reich obsession. His defenders go so far as to try and conflate Hakeem Jeffries attending an event at Crow's lecture center as being tantamount to fondling the Nazi china settings Crow has in his residence.
07:37 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Beti
A
Last year I went to an estate sale that had one piece of Nazi ephemera in a case. I was revolted, and I will never look at that house the same way.
07:30 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Richard Cunningham
A
Who among us doesn't have a signed copy of Mein Kampf?
06:47 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Sitara 68
A
So, here's why you should get the rest of the staff and Mother Jones over here. I had forgotten to renew my subscription. Seeing you here reminded me. I never see you on the 🐦 site because of their crappy algorithm. Just sayin'
06:25 PM - Apr 14, 2023 (Edited)
LilTaiz
A
Welcome! What is so glaring to me about the encounter with Crow's secret stash is that his wealth protects him from having to: 1) explain his choices and provide historical context for them and 2) to deal with people's honest reactions to the collection. No one could speak truth to power.
06:09 PM - Apr 14, 2023
D C
B
If one is so opposed to hate groups, etc., they could collect symbols and works of art that celebrate love, compassion etc. Crow's defensive letter is garbage.
05:48 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Mynxie
A
Woo hoo, you made it, welcome!!
05:36 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Simon Sands
A
My mean man and IMO the best writer is here...follow me back David, I have been spouting your motherjones articles daily and my timeline loves them...so thank you...
05:34 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Oscar Ramos
A
This is a great read- thank you.
05:33 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Susan Stoffregen
B
Upon reading the article it is apparent the man Harlan admires white supremacy & collects artifacts accordingly. There is no defense for collecting artifacts of Nazi Germany. None at all.
05:30 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Paul Loop
A
Really an interesting piece. It's impressive and, of course, troubling, how skilled Crow is at dismissing the primary concern of the arts group: contextualization. If you *choose* to highlight Nazi material you should be ready to expand on your reasoning for that choice. Crow did not.
05:26 PM - Apr 14, 2023
wmlockner
A
Welcome!!! Excited you're here!!
05:25 PM - Apr 14, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
The open distress of his guests was my favourite part. These Neo Confederates keep trying to gaslight us that these things are just historical. People with active consciences are horrified at the horrific. Thanks for bringing this incident back to light.
05:19 PM - Apr 14, 2023
junerose32
B
So it is one thing to collect e.g. items from the Holocaust and to present them in context in a museum as in DC. But sheets? You want to sleep in sheets with a SWASTIKA? That can only represent admiration. Disgusting.
05:02 PM - Apr 14, 2023
TwentyTwentyUSA
A
Thank you, David Corn...
04:58 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Katy VotingBlue
A
Good read! The "tell" is that what he displays does not speak to all sides of history. He idolizes power.
04:34 PM - Apr 14, 2023
Carol Norris
A
Welcome! Thanks, as always, for the great reporting.
04:23 PM - Apr 14, 2023
beachcoaststyle
A
Hello! Always loved David's hard work to bring truth to this crazy world of politics and information!
04:11 PM - Apr 14, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}