Dave Painchaud
A
I think we live in a time when people in positions of power and enforcement want all the perks… and simply don’t want to do the tough part. Justice Roberts will not deal with Thomas. Merrick Garland… really doesn’t want to do the tough part (so brings on Smith). Some do their jobs, but many… don’t.
12:03 AM - Apr 18, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
In response to Dave Painchaud.
A bit ironic (?) that CJ Roberts seems to be concerned about his legacy but doesn't do anything meaningful to correct its course. The last meaningful thing he did was upholding Obamacare which was done on a technicality (I think).
12:06 AM - Apr 18, 2023
Dave Painchaud
A
In response to Stewart Tan.
I don’t think anyone really has a sense of what Roberts is about, but strength or actually doing something is rarely part of his makeup - he always seems to find a way… to not do something. He can’t bring himself… to do much of anything. It’s not wise deliberation, it’s sitting on your hands.
12:10 AM - Apr 18, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
Exactly! He complains about how the court is being perceived but does nothing about it. Talk about having your blinders on!

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but given two bad options, Roberts should have done the right thing and let the chips fall where they do.
12:14 AM - Apr 18, 2023
Dave Painchaud
A
Great point - it’s easy to oversimplify, BUT… it would seem… reasonable, that no matter how difficult or distasteful, for the sake of the institution (and the country), you have to do… something.
In response to Stewart Tan.
12:20 AM - Apr 18, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
Specially since his title is Chief Justice... what's the point of being CJ if you will let Alito and the gang run all over you. I think CJR's response is simple, he names an independent ethics committee that will issue binding recommendations. Nothing the 4 justices can do about it.
12:30 AM - Apr 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}