Pamela Keith
A
My Mom was raised in Oakland, CA because Louisiana got too toxic for Black people,

and those who wanted better opportunity for their families MOVED OUT.

Mississippi Black folks: Do you love your kids as much as my Grandparents loved theirs?

It’s time to consider migration.
08:25 AM - Feb 10, 2023
Bethany Garden Witch
B
In response to Pamela Keith.
Easier said then done. Many in Mississippi don't have the money to move. They live in poverty. It isn't about love it's about economic reality. Maybe you could start a Go Fund me to raise money to help people move.
10:10 AM - Feb 10, 2023
Roslyn Holcomb
A
Times were different during the Great Migration. Moving is hella expensive. I'm still in sticker shock from moving from Alabama to Atlanta! First and last month's rent. Credit check. Transportation. Those who have those things have probably already left.
09:51 AM - Feb 10, 2023
Ground Control
A
I can kind of see why some people would stay. There's the "this is our home" going on plus moving is expensive even just going across town. With that said, after a certain point, it becomes either move or be crushed by the toxics around you. So I feel you.
08:45 AM - Feb 10, 2023
Adrienne SoulPowerCoach
A
In response to Ground Control.
It's our illusion to think there's a place in the US that's better. Any town with more than a handful of Black people is moving in this direction or already there but with a friendlier smile.

Candy-coated structural white supremacy is still structural white supremacy.
08:55 AM - Feb 10, 2023
JZS Samm
A
That reminds me of the pundits after hurricane Katrina going on and on about "Why didn't they just leave?" It motivated John Scalzi to write this about the reality of living in poverty.
https://whatever.scalzi.co...
08:44 AM - Feb 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}