Adele Inglish
A
Just saw someone say that a tax return means you loaned the government your money interest free and now my whole day is ruined 😠
06:08 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Jack HS
A
In response to Adele Inglish.
Use some government-funded roads and bridges, check the forecast with the National Weather Service, or visit a national park to get even with them.
06:12 PM - Dec 31, 2023 (Edited)
Angie is Supercalifragilistic…
A
To reduce the amount I overpay, I fill out a W-4 worksheet to calculate the number of deductions for my paycheck. I subtract one from that to make sure I don’t owe in April. I redo it whenever I have life changes that have a financial impact.

* I am not a financial advisor.
09:14 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Angie is Supercalifragilistic…
A
In response to Angie is Supercalifragilistic….
I’m a good saver so the extra in my paycheck doesn’t disappear.
09:15 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Anita Dennis
A
True. I always try to set my information to give me the smallest refund possible, or even a small tax due when I file.
09:04 AM - Jul 04, 2023
You look marvelous
A
It is 100% true! The govt holds you money and uses it scot free for a whole year and then maybe returns it to you.
10:38 PM - May 11, 2023
Buster T
A
That’s always been my feeling. I try to keep instalments as low as possible. It’s the principle.
06:31 PM - May 07, 2023
ThoughtRCrunchy
A
No. When you prepay your taxes, say as a small business owner who collects dividends as a shareholder, you are loaning the government money interest free. Your tax return is paying your taxes like an upstanding citizen. The IRS encourages small business owners pay that tax quarterly AHEAD of return
02:56 AM - May 03, 2023
Drummer Girl
A
Or... it's investing in all of us, while they hold onto some of your money, so you can have some later, and do stuff with it. Does that work any better? That's about as good as I can make it look for you ... 😉
01:33 PM - May 02, 2023
Just a scifi nerd
A
In response to Drummer Girl.
I like this take. I’ve always heard it as “loaning the govt your money” but it never bothered me both because im not a great saver and because the amount i get back is a nice boost every year. But i like rethinking the “loan” as helping others and myself.
10:24 PM - Dec 19, 2023
Midnight Tree Bandit
A
I'm okay with that, as long as I get back what I'm owed in overpayment.
And it's not really a loan, since the funds are technically held in escrow for the next budget year.
10:26 AM - Apr 30, 2023 (Edited)
John Haakenson
A
Yes but if you owe $ then the feds have given you an interest free loan. Works both ways. And it’s essentially irrelevant. The tax filing timing should be more about one’s personal cash flow requirements.
09:28 AM - Apr 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}