Patrice Chattergoon
A
I think it's time for gun owners to be required to carry gun insurance to pay for damages and get hit with rate hikes every time their gun is involved in an incident, similar to car insurance.

Victims shouldn't bear the costs of gun violence: hospitalization, funerals, damages, etc. Money Talks!
08:01 PM - Apr 19, 2023
k Broquard
A
In response to Patrice Chattergoon.
Saw the re-post
San Jose, ca has a Gun Harm Reduction Ordinance that requires firearm owners to obtain and maintain liability insurance and to pay an annual gun harm reduction fee.
07:14 PM - Dec 08, 2023
IMO
A
Absolutely!!!
I also think yearly gun registration and mental health check along with gun safety training should be mandatory.
01:59 AM - Sep 03, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
💯
08:58 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Sharon Alger ☿️
A
In my country, you need a gun license and no mental illness
04:14 AM - Aug 04, 2023
Kathy Ann
A
Retired insurance professional here, been saying this for years. You want gun regulations, make insurance mandatory. The insurance industry would take care of the regulation for you. Think seatbelt laws, mandatory airbags etc…
01:10 PM - Jul 25, 2023
Phoenician
A
In response to Kathy Ann.
Wouldn’t that be entertaining? Watching Big Insurance fighting with the NRA! Loser take all.
08:55 PM - Sep 02, 2023
RS_ Thomas
A
I completely agree with this. If liability insurance was required, the insurance industry would do all the gun control. "You've got a history of domestic violence? No insurance for you, too risky."
12:52 AM - Apr 21, 2023
John Bolton's Mustache™️☑️
A
In response to RS_ Thomas.
Yep, and like car insurance, if you couldn't afford, you don't get to own any. And violating that would result in immediate arrest.
01:48 PM - Apr 22, 2023
Kristine Erickson
A
I like this idea, but no insurance company would touch this risk, or at least I doubt they would. But a state fund, or a national trust of some kind that would benefit victims, not insurers, might. The onus has to be on gun owners.
11:14 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Kristine Erickson
A
In response to Kristine Erickson.
Replying to my own spout, but the onus must also be on gun manufacturers as well. Make it painful and costly for them to flood the market with firearms.
11:24 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Diane Pinkerton
A
💯
09:44 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Dave Schramm
A
Generally insurance excludes intentional acts. If it does exist most of the shootings in the news wouldn't be covered, no? Does that kind of insurance exist?
07:20 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Konstantine
A
I once heard an argument against this idea that made me caution against it. This type of law would, like many other laws, disproportionately affect the less affluent as they would not be able to afford the insurance. Not saying I agree or disagree, but throwing it out there for discussion.
09:56 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Kristine Erickson
A
In response to Konstantine.
There are all kinds of taxes on a gallon of gas, so a federal tax on every gun purchased or owned would be an option. And all the red states would disagree. Maybe a huge tax needs to be placed on gun manufacturers. As proliferation/shootings rise, so does their tax.
11:21 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Paulie Amory
A
Great idea! Then each mass shooting causes everybody's rates to go up just like homeowners ins in FL. Make owning it so expensive it's no longer worth it.
09:49 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Kevin Rooney
A
I like that idea -or- hear me out…

#repealthe2ndamendment
09:29 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Jeff Mistina 🐻
A
Love it! “Freedom isn free” gets said a lot, so I’m sure those folks would be happy to incur insurance expense to protect their freedom to carry, right?
Right?!
09:20 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Royce Hansen
A
Absolutely! Not only victims but us tax payers! Owninh a firearm comes with responsibility. A gun has only ONE purpose, TO KILL. People can say it's about shooting for sport, BULLSHIT. Even hunters must agree it's all about KILLING! Owners need to bear the responsibility just like a car owner!
09:06 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Bren
A
Ditto××××
08:53 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
You need insurance to drive a car, though I understand there are a lot of uninsured drivers in the US, probably in Canada too. But it is a great idea and should be put forth as a national law.
08:28 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Carolyn Reese
A
Great idea!
08:19 PM - Apr 19, 2023
brash
A
Seems worth considering! Seems so far away, but all ideas are good. Would then be cheaper not to have and it's a fair angle!
08:10 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Nick Searles
A
Saying the same thing. No insurance, no gun.
08:07 PM - Apr 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}