Glenn Farrington
A
Hey everyone, I'm hereI AMA. TV writing, structure, Pilots, writer's room, being an entrepreneur....anything you want, I'm here to help build this community!
09:01 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Al Gray
A
In response to Glenn Farrington.
I want to be a mad scientist!
09:55 PM - May 01, 2023
Colin Matthews
A
Hey Glenn, thanks for me taking the time to do this. What do you wish you had known before entering your first writers room?
09:29 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Colin Matthews.
With out a doubt...the Lingo. It was like learning a new language. There are certain words and phrases only used while you're in the room or just while writing on a show...AND...after learning the lingo for Comedy, I had to learn a whole new language for Drama.
09:38 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Colin Matthews.
Examples of writer's room lingo:
Laying Pipe: Getting story information out in dialogue. Never lay too much pipe.
Blow: The final joke of a scene, needs to often be the strongest one.
Couplet: Two separate character(s) lines of dialogue (in comedy, usually a setup and a punch line)
09:41 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Woke Polynesian
A
Welcome!
09:16 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Steve Kimura
A
Thanks for doing this, Glenn. My question is this: I always thought that comps were meant to convey the concept of your script or series, but now I hear the term, “tonal comps.” Is that a different thing?
09:15 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Steve Kimura.
But if it's an original pilot that you want to sell as a series, whatever tone you're using, as long as it's consistent throughout the script, you're good. But for staffing...try to have it match the tone of the show (especially if it's genre).
09:22 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Steve Kimura.
So in other words..."tonal comps"...is just another buzz word/phrase...just stick to how the comps you give, easily convey what you're trying to sell.
09:33 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Jeffrey Lieber
A
Who do you know that has a really cool daughter and why is it you?
09:11 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Jeffrey Lieber.
I have an incredibly cool daughter and I give all that credit to my wife...because I like remaining married.
09:12 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Mark BK
A
okay I will bite, Magician? tell us how that came to be and informs your writing.
09:05 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Glenn Farrington
A
In response to Mark BK.
When I was 10, my Father went to FAO Schwartz in NY and got me a book, This is your Hobby Fishing...they put in the wrong book This is your Hobby Magic. Been a passion ever since. The art of Misdirection is critical in all my writing, whether its setting up a joke in comedy or hiding a twist /Drama.
09:09 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Adrian James
A
Welcome!
09:03 PM - Apr 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}