Laura Rachelle
A
A word about E. Jean Carroll's testimony that she didn't scream. It's BS that the 1rst instinct is to scream when sexually assaulted. That's the narrative of perpetrators & Hollywood writers. The 1rst instinct is most often to freeze from shock, just as she described. The BS about rape needs to 🛑.
09:22 AM - Apr 29, 2023
Nikki Norman
A
In response to Laura Rachelle.
I didn’t scream. I fought, I kicked, I pushed, I said no, but I didn’t scream and like countless others, I didn’t report it because it was someone that I trusted and had been dating and I was worried about ruining HIS future.
01:35 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Laura Rachelle
A
In response to Nikki Norman.
I'm so sorry Nikki. 💔
So many of us have similar stories. I wish none of us did.
02:02 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
Yup. When I was young and stupid I was an EMT. One of my continuing ed sessions was care for domestic/sexual violence victims. The trainer told us in 95% of all attacks the victim knew and trusted the attacker. All are in shock. And only rarely are there scream/fight-back events.
02:25 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
In response to Stephen Spoonamore.
I remember the trainer driving home the point that in sexual attacks, physical harm is rare, but psychological harm is nearly universal. Our teams carried cards with mental health resources. Part of the training was when it would make the victim safer to give them the cards.
02:30 PM - Feb 27, 2024
Say_it_straight
A
Screaming doesn’t always help. Before anyone tries to argue this with me, I know from personal experience.
12:12 AM - Jan 09, 2024
Katie E
A
I'M CALLING BS . I know this is old but that's pure bullshit right there. If you want to know why I think it is, ask me, as a someone who has been raped multiple times since childhood.
05:11 AM - Oct 26, 2023
Ann Werner
A
I was fighting to get away. I could barely breathe much less scream.
01:00 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
Not only that but some people are physically unable to scream
12:47 PM - May 03, 2023
BLS Is tired of the BS
A
I didn't scream when I was raped. It's hard to do that when they have their hands around your neck.

Going to shock is the first thing that happens...
#SheWasRaped
12:39 PM - May 03, 2023
Laura Rachelle
A
In response to BLS Is tired of the BS.
I didn't either. Few actually do. I'm so sorry you went through that too. 💕
02:06 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Ellen W
A
It what people tell you to do “scream” not what actually happens in many cases! Fighting for your life takes your voice!
10:23 AM - May 01, 2023
Joe Hufford
B
Let's get that lawyer on the stand.

"Mr. Tacopena, please tell us about your actions the last time you were raped'
01:46 PM - Apr 29, 2023
Nancy Morgan
A
Agreed. No one knows how they would react until they’re in that horrible situation. The criticism for screaming/not screaming/fighting/not fighting is just another way to demean and silence survivors. I 100% believe EJC and I hope she gets justice.
12:01 PM - Apr 29, 2023 (Edited)
ML Hart
A
Can confirm... especially if you feel trapped, alone, or threatened with, say, a knife at your throat #MeToo
Even if none of those things, *whatever* response you do or don't make is the correct one for YOU, at THAT TIME.
We must not let others dictate or complain - they weren't there.
11:27 AM - Apr 29, 2023
Laura Rachelle
A
In response to ML Hart.
💯 & 🫂
11:30 AM - Apr 29, 2023
Shawn Scott
A
CW sexual violence

I tried clerking for a law firm once. Scarred for life. People should know that the majority of response to a scream is severe beating or even death. And the abuse doesn’t stop after death because it’s always about power. Inherently, not screaming is a defense mechanism.
10:40 AM - Apr 29, 2023
Laura Rachelle
A
In response to Shawn Scott.
@Shortstack just brought this up in a quote spout and it's 💯 true. Plus every situation like this is different & there is no checklist of reactions a person goes down when being assaulted. It makes me sick the ignorance that victims of sexual assault have to face when questioned.
11:05 AM - Apr 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}