Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 1/19
Physical Activity, Exercise, and Movement: Maybe you know this, maybe you don’t, it’s a good review (a thread)
11:40 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 2/19
Topics
i. Disclaimer
Always discuss any changes to your health routine with a qualified healthcare professional. No, not everything here applies to everyone universally all the time. So, discuss any changes to your health routine with a qualified healthcare professional.
11:43 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 3/19
1. Intro
I hear a lot about what people think regarding exercise - through personal and professional interactions, online, and popular media. Much is good, a bunch is bad, and a lot is well-meaning and still not the best.
11:44 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 4/19
And this goes for a lot of healthcare providers as well. Many still hold on to, and promote ideas and aspects of physical activity that are counter productive, even though they mean nothing but the best.
11:44 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 5/19
So here are a few things that I think are helpful to know. I didn’t come up with them. But I listen to and follow smart people who do the research and share it so that we can all benefit. I’m just passing along in a casual format (note I’m not citing specific references)
11:45 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 6/19
2. Motion is lotion
Your joints have fluid in them. That fluid acts like oil in a car. It bathes the cartilage on the ends of the bones, both lubricating and nourishing it. Every time you joints move, some fluid is absorbed and new fluid is expressed into the joint space. Motion is lotion, literally
11:46 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 7/19
Joints that don’t move don’t get to experience this healthy exchange as much. This can, over time, start to promote arthritis.

Joints that move with frequency and variety are healthier. Running, walking, high or low impact activities, weight lifting DO NOT lead to increased arthritis.
11:47 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 8/19
3. How much?
Still one of the best videos out there on the benefits of physical activity is this one: Twenty Three and a Half Hours… by Dr Mike Evans. 30 minutes a day. That’s it. And it doesn’t even have to be all at once.
https://m.youtube.com/watc...
23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health? - YouTube

Check out our new website http://www.reframehealthlab.com/Follow Dr. Mike for new videos! http://twitter.com/docmikeevans A Doctor-Professor answers the old ...

11:48 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 9/19
You know my little jeans workouts? They’re maybe five minutes each. Spread throughout the day. No warmup or cool down. I’m too lazy change. A few stairs, squats, your dog walk. It all counts.
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 10/19
And here’s the neat part - the 30 minutes a day accounts for 80% of the benefits. After that - the intense, tough guy workouts - that only adds *maybe* an additional 20% improvement. Nothing wrong with that. But that’s a pretty good margin to leave behind if you have other life things you want to do
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 11/19
4. Who should should be physically active? (reminder to read disclaimer)

Pretty much everyone.

I remember years ago listening to an elite runner talk about how they feel bad when they see people who “shouldn’t” be running - overweight, uncoordinated, poor form etc.

That’s crap. And here’s why…
11:50 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 12/19
Contrary to popular belief, we are not as fragile as we’ve been led to believe. Our bodies are strong, adaptable, and resilient. If you can stand and walk under your own power your core and glutes are firing just fine.
11:50 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 13/19
In part I believe these “elite” projections - the Nike and Gatorade commercials that make you think you have to look a certain way, and give a 110% all the time - inhibit many of us from taking action.
11:51 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 14/19
“Ugh, I can’t do that. Why even try?” When the truth is that, as I said earlier, you’ll get almost all of the benefit with a mostly minimal effort.
11:52 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 15/19
And because you’ve heard running [insert any other activity] is good for you, doesn’t mean you head out and do a half marathon tomorrow. You’ll get injured. But almost everyone, with a gradual smart approach, can feel confident and good about reaching physical activity goals, whatever those may be.
11:53 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 16/19
5. Forget about form
I won’t harp on this but “proper” posture - back in neutral, and not letting your knees goes further forward than your toes - that’s all kinda bunk, too. Show me the research to support it, and I’ll show you 8.5 billion examples of people doing otherwise and being just fine.
11:54 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 17/19
6. Closing remarks
Why do I want you to know this? Because for the vast majority of us it’s accessible and attainable. It doesn’t need to be a special thing. You don’t need special equipment, clothing, classes, or memberships.
11:55 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 18/19
A small increase, consistently over time, can have a tremendous impact in not only adding years to your life, but life to those years.
11:55 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 19/19
That’s it for now. Yes, maybe at some point we can get into things more, and debate, and I’m always open to changing my mind with changing evidence. That’s what good healthcare does.

But I’m taking the dog out for a walk now.

- End -
11:57 AM - May 06, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to Olen B.
And thank you, Dr Bradley :)
08:50 AM - May 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}