stephen matlock
A
thread 1/14
Blocked my second Spoutible user today. White guy who insists that we be forced to see images of children's bodies destroyed by weapons of death because "the media does it so we should, too."
07:17 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 2/14
I don't think any media outlet like Spoutible can entirely prevent people from saying gross or unthoughtful things.

People are people and we are all growing in our understanding of community.
07:18 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 3/14
But lordy, I do not have to listen to you when you encourage violence or chaos or destruction because you yourself are not controlling yourself or are not loving your neighbor enough to care about how they might respond to your advocacy of violence as truth.
07:19 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 4/14
I literally cannot imagine someone who, having lived in America since the times of Martin Luther King, Jr., is somehow unaware of how American people use violence as a tool of personal satisfaction for their grievances.
07:20 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 5/14
Violence that does not kill someone directly traumatizes them, often irreparably and permanently.

We are scarred by the violence inflicted upon us as children by adults using physical violence as "discipline."

We are scarred by the violence of beatings we receive by bullies.
07:22 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 6/14
Our psyches are damaged; our hopes are impaired when violence is seen as the only real tool we have to cope with the frightening and chaotic world around us.

It breaks my heart to see children exposed to violence as a "tool" of education.

"You're gonna learn today" means more than people realize.
07:23 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 7/14
So if someone is going to come to Spoutible to make it the hellsite that Twitter is, my reaction isn't patience.

I'm gonna block you and never want to think about or hear from you again.

I'm past the point of "understanding" your love of violence and your love of chaos.

Go back to Twitter.
07:24 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 8/14
The goal of white male dominance isn't learning or discussion. It's keeping us busy trying to counter nonsense so that we exhaust ourselves trying to "break through" to connect to someone who has no interest in connecting or learning or understanding.
07:29 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 9/14
The best res[pmse to white male nonsense is blocking them.

It's a way to first of all protect yourself from the damage they want to do to your soul.

And it's a way to practice distancing white males from the dominance they expect in any social interaction.
07:30 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 10/14
If your response is "but what about the white guy? How will he learn?"

1. There are plenty of ways for him to learn that don't require you putting yourself into a place of exposure to threats and abuse, and

2. White guys will eventually figure out why they're being ignored.
07:33 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 11/14
If they want to change, they'll seek out people to help them.

But if they're not ready for that, then they'll need to go longer without participating in conversations they desperately want to have.

Have patience that God will reach them because you surely will not.
07:34 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 12/14
The best thing to do for a white guy who insists that he be privileged and centered in a social dynamic is to turn away and do whatever you can to ignore him.

Don't feed his brokenness. Don't help him to believe that he has something to offer in his whiteness and maleness and social dominance.
07:35 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 13/14
The best way to help someone who doesn't want help is to let them figure out that they cannot succeed on their own and then, *when they ask for help*, to lead them to places where they can find help.
07:36 PM - May 07, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 14/14
Don't put yourself out there as someone who can "fix" them unless they ask *and* it is your job as a paid professional to help them.
07:37 PM - May 07, 2023
Anastasia Joy
A
In response to stephen matlock.
What purpose would it serve? We already oppose weapons of war that tear apart bodies, why we oppose them. What would be the point in looking other than to give us nightmares & possibly make us more ineffective?
09:57 PM - May 07, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
Brilliant thread. We don't have to accept sea lions over here dominating the discourse.
08:44 PM - May 07, 2023
Nora Nanza
A
Great thread Stephen. I blocked my first account today as well. No one needs to tolerate angry, rude people.
That's why I left the bird app.
08:42 PM - May 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}