Robert Reich
A
Trump is running for reelection, despite the explicit language of the 14th Amendment, which prohibits anyone who has held public office and who has engaged in insurrection against the United States from ever again serving in office.

He should be disqualified. It’s that simple.
01:58 PM - May 08, 2023
John Haakenson
A
In response to Robert Reich.
Agree here Robert but who will disqualify him and then who and how is it enforced? Unfortunately as we’ve learned while the Constitution has cool stuff like the 14th A in it, there is no teeth.
09:39 PM - May 15, 2023
One American
A
Then why hasn’t he already been disqualified?
09:31 PM - May 15, 2023
Sassy Musing
A
Yes, he should. I'm hoping now that a few people have been found guilty of this that it means Trump can be held accountable.

IMO, if Trump and his buddies are not charged with sedition by fomenting an insurrection, democracy will NOT be served.
09:24 PM - May 15, 2023
Tim Graf
A
Robert, as you well know, criminal sanctions cannot be imposed on someone who has not been convicted of a crime. Assuming he is convicted, yes, he should be. However, as of this moment, he hasn't even been indicted yet, so there's nothing prohibiting him from running.
05:00 PM - May 08, 2023
Priscilla Payne
A
I agree! Who is going to enforce the 14th amendment? What is it going to take? An indictment?
04:08 PM - May 08, 2023
Andrea Loken
A
That would be faaaaahbulous, but it would require one tiny little detail: a conviction.
03:56 PM - May 08, 2023
Douglas Kelso
A
Only after he's been convicted of insurrection or sedition.

Until then, the presumption of innocence applies.
03:01 PM - May 08, 2023
Steve Nelson
A
02:49 PM - May 08, 2023
Mark Goldhaber
A
Jack Smith’s got to finish his work first. No conviction on insurrection charges, no disqualification.
02:30 PM - May 08, 2023
Randy Resists
A
As well as every GQP who defied their oath of office by refusing to certify the election based on a group who referred to themselves as "fake electors."
02:21 PM - May 08, 2023
Panama Red
A
Bob, what's the enforcement mechanism for the 14th Amendment, Sec. 3? Because I'm not sure there is one.
02:19 PM - May 08, 2023
Jack Mcgraw
A
Among other things, that the republican party allows him to run under their banner is such monumental cowardice, its mind bongling.
02:05 PM - May 08, 2023

Only followers of this user (Shalott) can see their posts

Brad Johnson
A
In response to Jenn.
I don't think that was the original plan. I think the original plan was to remain president (power and grift). I think it has morphed into trying to keep his butt out of jail.
02:14 PM - May 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}