Sassy Musing
A
US Federal Government employees filed suit claiming that the 1917 debt limit law violates the U.S. Constitution's separation of powers because it forces the president in the event of a default to cut spending already authorized by Congress.
12:52 AM - May 09, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Sassy Musing.
Its nice to see sane people finally playing Constitutional hardball too.
01:01 AM - May 09, 2023
Sassy Musing
A
Right? I really like it, and (in my humble opinion) this is a decent argument. It'll be interesting to see what a Judge does. I particularly want to watch to see if an injunction is issued to stop a default from happening during the pendency of the case.
In response to Anton Brakhage.
01:32 AM - May 09, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Sassy Musing.
Between this and Biden's leaving executive action to prevent a default on the table, its pretty clear Democrats are not going to meekly fold to the hostage takers' demands. And I may be being naive, but I don't think SCOTUS will go with the Treason Caucus on this one. McCarthy is fucked.
01:35 AM - May 09, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
If he does the decent, reasonable thing, and gives Biden his clean debt ceiling bill, he will lose his Speakership, most likely, because the MAGA hardliners will force him out for it. But if he doesn't, Congress will likely have their control over the debt limit taken away altogether.

Good.
01:36 AM - May 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}