Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/4
PSA: Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology is HERE, and it is already being used by scammers to record YOUR voice when you answer the phone. Then, the AI technology is used to create whole conversations in YOUR voice to use for nefarious scam purposes.

👇
12:56 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 2/4
Ex: The police will hear YOU calling for urgent help at your own home in the middle of the night to fight an intruder.

Your adult child will hear YOUr trembling voice telling him two house invaders are holding you hostage and will harm you unless they wire money.

👇
12:57 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 3/4
AI technology can ALREADY do this and more.

How to stay safe:

1) DO NOT answer a call from a phone number you do not recognize, even if the call appears to be within your own area code. Let them leave a message.

👇
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 4/4
2) If you do answer, SAY NOTHING and let them do the talking. If you don't recognize them, hang up! Even saying just a few words CAN and could be used against you.

Spread the awareness and help others stay safe, too!
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023 (Edited)
Kimberlee (Kimbrûlée)
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
I've been doing this for years.
01:33 PM - May 09, 2023
Lisse (she/her)
A
In response to Kimberlee (Kimbrûlée).
Me too! Automated voice systems are voice-activated. If you don’t say anything, they won’t either. Unless they “think “ they heard something, and then an actual person will say, “hello?”
01:41 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Kimberlee (Kimbrûlée).
Same. But it might surprise you how many don't do this. I'm in a local neighborhood group, and I frequently see posts from someone who answered a call that turned out to be a scam. One of my close friend's elderly mother was scammed out of more than $50K after she answered a scam call.
01:43 PM - May 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}