Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/4
PSA: Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology is HERE, and it is already being used by scammers to record YOUR voice when you answer the phone. Then, the AI technology is used to create whole conversations in YOUR voice to use for nefarious scam purposes.

👇
12:56 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 2/4
Ex: The police will hear YOU calling for urgent help at your own home in the middle of the night to fight an intruder.

Your adult child will hear YOUr trembling voice telling him two house invaders are holding you hostage and will harm you unless they wire money.

👇
12:57 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 3/4
AI technology can ALREADY do this and more.

How to stay safe:

1) DO NOT answer a call from a phone number you do not recognize, even if the call appears to be within your own area code. Let them leave a message.

👇
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 4/4
2) If you do answer, SAY NOTHING and let them do the talking. If you don't recognize them, hang up! Even saying just a few words CAN and could be used against you.

Spread the awareness and help others stay safe, too!
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023 (Edited)
The Rodent
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
I never answer the phone unless it's from a number already in my best-buddy contact list. Nobody should answer an unknown number here in the 21st century.
03:59 PM - May 09, 2023
TrevWriter
A
Like other people in the replies, I screen all my calls, and don't answer any that I don't recognize. My phone also indicates potential scam calls, and I block those.

Technology works for us as well as against us.
03:36 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to TrevWriter.
Very true, technology works both ways. I'm grateful to have the option to screen calls and block when needed.
03:41 PM - May 09, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I never answer my phone unless they are in my book, I don't want to talk to anyone anyway. We get a lot of this at work though, and you have to answer the phone properly at work. :P
03:16 PM - May 09, 2023
Melinda Nowikowski
A
I don't answer the phone if the number isn't already in my directory. If it's someone who's never called me, but a call I want, they'll leave a message and I'll put them in the directory for next time. Always been phone scams - I got tired of them about five minutes after I got a cell phone.
01:04 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Melinda Nowikowski.
Great practice to keep!
01:06 PM - May 09, 2023
DannyG
B
i'm so glad i haven't answered my phone since like 2001.
01:02 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to DannyG.
Same, I only answer if I know with 100% certainty who it is.

Some like to answer and toy with the scammers. Although FUN to do, it is no longer advised.
01:05 PM - May 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}