Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/4
PSA: Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology is HERE, and it is already being used by scammers to record YOUR voice when you answer the phone. Then, the AI technology is used to create whole conversations in YOUR voice to use for nefarious scam purposes.

👇
12:56 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 2/4
Ex: The police will hear YOU calling for urgent help at your own home in the middle of the night to fight an intruder.

Your adult child will hear YOUr trembling voice telling him two house invaders are holding you hostage and will harm you unless they wire money.

👇
12:57 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 3/4
AI technology can ALREADY do this and more.

How to stay safe:

1) DO NOT answer a call from a phone number you do not recognize, even if the call appears to be within your own area code. Let them leave a message.

👇
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 4/4
2) If you do answer, SAY NOTHING and let them do the talking. If you don't recognize them, hang up! Even saying just a few words CAN and could be used against you.

Spread the awareness and help others stay safe, too!
12:58 PM - May 09, 2023 (Edited)
Mary OContrary
A
Same, I only answer if I know with 100% certainty who it is.

Some like to answer and toy with the scammers. Although FUN to do, it is no longer advised.
In response to DannyG.
01:05 PM - May 09, 2023
DannyG
B
In response to Mary OContrary.
for real. this is solid advice.

also, don't use your own voice on your outgoing voicemail messages.

i stopped doing that years ago (admittedly so bill collectors would leave me alone at the time) and now i only get voicemails from people that KNOW that it's me.
01:06 PM - May 09, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to DannyG.
GREAT advice! (goes to change voice greeting)
01:07 PM - May 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}