Brent Maverick
A
thread 1/7
People often underestimate the frustration "stuff" can create. Physical objects usually come w/ an unending pull of tasks to be completed, looming upkeep, bitterness over non-use, & similar thoughts.

Translation: The more "stuff" you have, the greater the chance of dissatisfaction.

Micro 🧵
01:21 PM - May 10, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
thread 2/7
We accumulate items for a variety of reasons. Impulse. Necessity. Inheritance. Fun.

But items are intended to be used. The more you have, the more you reduce your available pool of time to allocate to each item.
01:21 PM - May 10, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
thread 3/7
Consequently, some items consistently remain something you hope to have time for. Other items require upkeep, or updating, or replacement, which requires more time and energy. And, often results in old items lying around, needing to be dealt with.
01:22 PM - May 10, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
thread 4/7
Collectively, you eventually reach a point where you have so many things falling into these various categories, everywhere you look you are reminded of something you long for or are responsible for. From your car and house to your dishes and hobbies, it all adds up.
01:23 PM - May 10, 2023
Brent Maverick
A
thread 5/7
Yes, not having anything can create a sense of longing and certainly makes accomplishing various tasks difficult, but there is also complete literal freedom in having no responsibility for upkeeping "stuff".
Brent Maverick
A
thread 6/7
SIDE NOTE: I think this is part of why children carry less stress than adults. Toys and housing and so forth don't represent responsibility or lost time in the same way.
Brent Maverick
A
thread 7/7
I don't know that there's a perfect solution as different people have different mindsets & tolerances for these types of things, but for me, pairing down, organizing, balancing my schedule, "letting go", & knowing limits are vital. Also, *only intentional* upgrades/purchases are very helpful.
01:25 PM - May 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}