Fietser Pete - Peter Som de Cerff
A
thread 1/7
#StreetSafety
Just got back from a few weeks in Germany. It’s a car-embracing country, but the city I was in was had many decent transportation options. I chose not to rent a car.

A few observations:
- parking is expensive.
- transit is cheap
- no right on red makes a big difference
05:28 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 2/7
- center islands are routine. Rarely more than two lanes without a break
- lots of bollards keeps corners safer
- car-free areas and pedestrian-first crossings make walking comfortable
- transit-oriented devp around stations makes for dense dining options
05:35 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 3/7
Overall, I walked a LOT and used trains, trams, and buses. I wish I’d had a bike - maybe next time.

I had zero close calls. Only a few minor contentions with cars (mostly at curb cuts for parking lots) and bikes (where cycle lanes and sidewalks mix).

It was great!
05:38 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 4/7
Two common complaints about buses and trains:
- they are almost empty and so inefficient!
- they are overloaded and germy/odiferous crushes of humanity!
- waits are too long!

Mostly empty cars on mostly empty streets is “fine”, though.
05:42 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 5/7
All the above can be true on a single line. On the rural end, waits are long and seats are empty. By downtown, shared routes means waits are short, but the cars are packed.

Here’s the thing, tho: at rush hour, packed trains get everybody where they need to be, cheaply, and on time.
05:45 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 6/7
Mostly, anyway. Track work, late buses, and (fairly few) escalator issues cause irritation.

But cars get only a few people through, expensively, and with major delays during rush hour. Cars don’t scale, but they are great on the rural end.
05:48 AM - May 12, 2023
A
thread 7/7
Also, it’s nice to not have to consider driving after dinner. Want a beer or a second glass of wine? No problem!

Flip side: want to stop to see something you’re passing? It might take some work to get back to, and in rural areas the next train might be 30 minutes away. Or an hour, further out.
05:52 AM - May 12, 2023
A
In response to Fietser Pete - Peter Som de Cerff.
- traffic light on the near side of intersections means cars stop where they can see the lights and crossings remain clear
- drivers are attuned to cyclists and walkers. They give way and accommodate.
- actually, everybody accommodates. Sometimes spacing is tight, but speeds tend to be slow
05:31 AM - May 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}