A.C. Berryhill
A
thread 1/4
The thing Anderson Cooper is missing in his zeal to defend CNN is that our problem with CNN platforming Trump isn’t our disagreement with Trump’s politics. Our problem is that Trump tried to overthrow the constitutional order, and the media shouldn’t be promoting that. #CNN #AndersonCooper
10:40 AM - May 12, 2023
A.C. Berryhill
A
thread 2/4
To the network’s credit, in they days immediately following 1/6, they appeared to do some real soul-searching, and they made some moves toward acting more responsibly. They seemed to recognize the danger to democracy posed by Trump and his ilk, and they started pointing out the Big Lie.
10:43 AM - May 12, 2023
A.C. Berryhill
A
thread 3/4
But time passed, and the Almighty Dollar won out. As did their addiction to the ratings he brings.

I get this is hard for Cooper. He was a damn good foreign correspondent for many years, and I think journalism still matters to him. It has to be painful to him to see what CNN is becoming.
10:45 AM - May 12, 2023
A.C. Berryhill
A
thread 4/4
So he seems to be doing what a lot of people do when something hurts. He appears to be burying himself in denial.

The problem is that this has led him into victim-blaming. (Every American is a victim of Trump’s power grab.)
10:47 AM - May 12, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
In response to A.C. Berryhill.
Coming from an AC fan, it's very disappointing. What CNN did was the same thing AC was complaining about (silos), they setup the rules so TFG won't get embarrassed (no booing, hand-picked audience, etc.), then complain about silos.

Even the $ argument fails, they can't out-maga Faux / newsmax.
08:26 PM - May 16, 2023
Tim B
A
In response to A.C. Berryhill.
Honestly, I have a problem with Trumps politics. :)

But I agree. The problem wasn't platforming a political candidate.

It was platforming one in an uncritically supportive environment and allowing a gish-gallop of lies to be broadcast.
10:54 AM - May 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}