Annie Bee Good
A
thread 1/3
Can we talk about the Shame Propaganda surrounding social assistance programs aka welfare?
In addition to the folks who will never be taxpayers because of disability or age, taxpayers are taught to be ashamed of accessing social assistance. They are taught to take pride in refusing "welfare."
10:59 AM - May 12, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
thread 2/3
Say it with me:
I WILL NOT BE ASHAMED TO USE TAX DOLLARS THAT DIRECTLY BENEFIT ME.
11:03 AM - May 12, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
thread 3/3
It is certainly my preference & desire to not be in a position to require social assistance, but as a taxpayer I'm very happy to help those more vulnerable than me, but also will be happy to help myself should I become vulnerable.
11:03 AM - May 12, 2023
Chas Johnson
A
Damn right!! The only reason I didn't lose my house when I had brain cancer in 2014 is SSDI. You better believe I'm not ashamed of being able to live even though I'm disabled now!
In response to Annie Bee Good.
11:21 AM - May 12, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
In response to Chas Johnson.
A very close friend's husband died at 47 of liver cancer, leaving her & 2 little ones behind. Why? Because his company closed after the bubble burst in 2008. He looked for 2 years & couldn't find work & put off medical care because he lost his ins along with his job.
11:27 AM - May 12, 2023 (Edited)
Annie Bee Good
A
In response to Annie Bee Good.
By the time they realized how ill he was, my friend begged him to seek care. He refused because he was afraid he'd lose their house & leave his family homeless. He was ashamed to need assistance.
He did everything "right." He'd worked from the age of 15. He put himself through school & saved money.
11:32 AM - May 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}