Anthony Lee
A
thread 1/20
On Spoutible, I regularly spout positive, sensitive, and thoughtful stuff. You'll be shocked to know that, a long time ago, I used to be a bitter cynic, highly critical of people to the point of misery.

How is it that I could do such a major 180? Well, let me tell you that story.

#ThreadChallenge
11:39 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 2/20
In high school and beyond, I despised my peers as being beneath me. Being raised with traditional Asian values, I was a hardcore academic resisting all social pressures. I wanted to succeed without anything bringing me down. I was proud of myself while sneering at everyone else.

#ThreadChallenge
11:40 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 3/20
Life got to the point where I was bitter. Things were not what I expected. I was lonely, angry at others for not noticing me, and not getting any respect. But I still had a sense of morals, wanting to do the right things. So I made a life-changing decision...

I saw a therapist.

#ThreadChallenge
11:40 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 4/20
For two years, I visited three different therapists, each providing different insights and advice. Each session allowed me to look beyond myself and focus more on the surrounding world. Each moment of discovery reduced my negativity and replaced it with a dose of positivity.

#ThreadChallenge
11:41 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 5/20
Therapist No. 1 taught me to have empathy, by paying attention to other people's feelings in addition to my own. While I didn't instantly become any more social, at least I was getting used to observing others with less angst. This exercise was an important step towards humanity.

#ThreadChallenge
Anthony Lee
A
thread 6/20
Therapist No. 2 focused more on self-awareness of feelings, plus taking steps to connect with others. Whenever I shared moments of interacting with people, she would ask, "How did that make you feel?" It was challenging to answer at first, but eventually, that became a good habit.

#ThreadChallenge
Anthony Lee
A
thread 7/20
One time, a group of colleagues were going out to dinner the next night. At first, I didn't want to go. But shortly before the dinner, I made a last-minute decision to actually go after all. I figured if I didn't enjoy it, at least I tried.

It turned out to be a great thing.

#ThreadChallenge
11:42 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 8/20
At the dinner, I didn't speak much, but I enjoyed listening to the funny stories being shared. Even when they pertained to a topic I knew nothing about, like Indian cinema, I laughed along and felt really good.

Therapist No. 2 gave me very high praise for joining that dinner.

#ThreadChallenge
11:42 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 9/20
Another thing happened around this time. While there was work downtime, I struck a conversation with a colleague sitting by himself. We enjoyed sharing stories and other stuff. Little did I expect that he became a new friend.

To this day, he's still one of my best friends.

#ThreadChallenge
11:43 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 10/20
Therapist No. 3's main contribution to my mental health was taking empathy to the next level. In other words, understanding people who have little in common with me. This focus, plus the continuation of work with Therapists 1 and 2, was the final stage of my awakening.

#ThreadChallenge
11:43 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 11/20
Interestingly, one exercise in empathy occured while seeing the 50 Cent movie Get Rich or Die Tryin', which was a pretty good gangster drama. I told the therapist how I got more curious about the real-life plights of urban African Americans. She gave me high marks for my empathy.

#ThreadChallenge
11:44 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 12/20
After two years, I thanked Therapist No. 3 for all she did, while also thinking of the other two therapists. I felt much better to the point of navigating the world with a restored inner peace. Not all was A-OK yet, but at least I had a more solid emotional foundation to stand on.

#ThreadChallenge
11:44 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 13/20
One issue I managed on my own was the feeling of getting no respect at work. Thanks to kind words from a relative, I reminded myself to just focus on doing my best and rewarding myself no matter what. Over the years, I learned to build positivity that would overshadow negativity.

#ThreadChallenge
11:45 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 14/20
I also continued to deal with disappointments in dating. But at least those feelings were mild, not harsh like devastation. Also, I became more confident in starting conversations without caring if I got ignored. It's all about being happy with myself, not obsessing over outcomes.

#ThreadChallenge
11:45 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 15/20
Let's now fast-forward to the near present.

Back on Twitter, I would sometimes encounter users who communicated in a rude and hateful tone. Imagine if I had not gotten the therapy I did. I would've ended up being a bitter troll, too.

Empathy really makes all the difference.

#ThreadChallenge
11:46 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 16/20
When I joined Spoutible shortly after 12:00 PM PDT on February 1, 2023, its very first day for users, I expected just a simple Twitter alternative. What I began experiencing was a whole new world where people wanted to talk and engage, where a true community was quickly budding.

#ThreadChallenge
11:46 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 17/20
It did not take me long to figure out what I would do on Spoutible. Knowing from personal experience that people want attention and respect, my empathetic self would read the latest random spouts in the Explore section and reply if I had a comment, so that others feel seen.

#ThreadChallenge
11:47 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 18/20
On top of replying to others, I spout on my own profile, about whatever is on my mind. I keep my content positive, sensitive, or thoughtful because I do not want to exude negativity like I did many years ago. The more I see engagement, the more grateful I am for the therapy I got.

#ThreadChallenge
11:47 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 19/20
Lastly, I am an aspiring thriller novelist, writing stories that partly draw on my past angst and bitterness while injecting the empathy I developed over the years. I hope to simultaneously entertain and inspire my readers. Sometimes, a dark past can inspire a bright future.

#ThreadChallenge
11:48 PM - May 15, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
thread 20/20
I would like to thank you all for listening to my story. I hope my journey reminds you that it is possible to achieve greater happiness with a little extra empathy.

On that note, let us support each other so that we can form a community where people will surely become happier. 🙂

#ThreadChallenge
11:48 PM - May 15, 2023
Shirlster
A
In response to Anthony Lee.
Thank you for sharing this deeply personal journey with us here.
08:47 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Mark GranPaw C
A
Great thread much respect for your openness Sir
07:41 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
Excellent thread, Anthony, and even more so bc it shares a part of you so openly and fearlessly.

When we learn to become more empathetic and less critical of others, by default we learn to become more empathetic and less critical of ourselves.

This is the path to inner peace.
07:39 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Claudia Citro
A
@AnthonyLee Not only a great story. Not only a brave story. This is a story that can inspire others to seek counseling. I am glad to know you!
04:03 PM - Jun 20, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
You wrote a great thread for the ThreadChallenge. It was inspiring and helped me think about my own interaction on this platform. I am now following you in order to read more of your positive messages. Thank you!
07:18 AM - Jun 20, 2023
BasqIn TheGlory
A
Thank you for sharing @AnthonyLee
Therapy seem to have been a useful tool but please give yourself way more credit for choosing to be the best person you can be🫵🏼👏👏👏
10:54 PM - Jun 19, 2023
LaFleur
A
Such a beautiful soul. I appreciate this thread.
08:15 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Angie is Supercalifragilistic…
A
Thank you for sharing Anthony. ❤️
03:44 PM - Jun 14, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
Anthony, thanks for sharing some deeply personal stuff.

I haven't had perfect mental health over the years but I would struggle to open up about it online.

Glad to hear that you've found a way to make meaningful changes. And your Spoutible 'mission'!

Good luck with the challenge.
05:43 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Anthony Lee
A
In response to Gabe McGrath.
Thank you. 🙂

Now, when will voting on the Thread Challenge begin?
10:36 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
It takes a lot to put such a personal story out for whoever is there to read it. I see quite a few people opening up on here, that I cannot imagine would have done the same on the bird site. Thanks for sharing.
Empathy is so important, it might very well be the key to many things.
01:35 PM - May 16, 2023
Marleigh Elise
A
Great thread!
05:15 AM - May 16, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}