Jason Cornwell
A
thread 1/11
#ThreadChallenge

There once was a boy. He was a bit of a brat, but generally good hearted. He had a stuffed tiger. It was smart, brave and loyal. However, the real big deal about these two is that when no one was looking the stuffed tiger became a real live tiger. Then one day, it all stopped.
12:13 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 2/11
The boy woke up ready for another adventure filled day and the tiger stayed a stuffed tiger. Even worse no one seemed to understand what had been taken from him. His parents almost seemed relieved that he'd grown out of this phase. No one would listen. No one except for the gross neighborhood girl.
12:21 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 3/11
The girl listened. More importantly she believed. She sat by his side when he cried. She fished the tiger out of the trash when he threw it away in an angry fit. This kindness was a life boat the boy clung to in the rough years that followed.
07:41 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 4/11
The boy grew to be a man and the girl became his wife. It was a good life but the man was haunted by memories of his childhood. Then one day he put pen to paper and created a comic strip about the adventures of a boy and his stuffed (but secretly real) tiger.
07:47 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 5/11
#ThreadChallenge
The comic strip was a joyful celebration of childhood. Where a box could be a rocket ship or a time machine. Also like childhood, it ended far too soon.
07:50 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 6/11
The man eventually became an old man. Cancer robbed him of his wife. Dementia of pretty much everything else. The old man would be dead by morning. However in his last moments, he was not alone. A tiger jumped off the book shelf and padded over to the old man's bed.
07:54 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 7/11
The tiger looked in the old man's eyes and saw the question he'd needed answered. Why had he left? The tiger's answer was simple and cruel.
07:56 PM - May 16, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 8/11
Only children get to have imaginary friends. Only children get to journey though enchanted wardrobes. A grown man with a magic tiger would end up in a padded cell. Adults reject the magic of childhood.
12:50 AM - May 17, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 9/11
The tiger saw the final question in the old man’s eyes. Why have you come back? The tiger’s answer was simple and kind.
12:54 AM - May 17, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 10/11
They told me to wait, but I’ve been waiting since they took me away from you. I saw you in the dark, alone and afraid. Just like when we first met. I said someone needs to be with him and that someone should be me. So here I am.
12:57 AM - May 17, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
thread 11/11
There’s so many new places to see. People to meet. So get out of that bed and come with me. We’re going to have such grand adventures.
01:32 AM - May 17, 2023
B Saucy Now
A
In response to Jason Cornwell.
Lovely, touching story
11:04 PM - Dec 10, 2023
Hans Jorgensen
A
Thanks for this thread
05:26 PM - Dec 09, 2023
Bren
A
You know this is good right? Perfect for a children's book. I would read it to my grands. Scratch that would to will. Don't hide out write more and get it published. ❤️
03:55 AM - Dec 09, 2023
Jason Cornwell
A
In response to Bren.
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I think Bill Watterson might object if I tried to get this story published. My big wish is that maybe he'll stumble across it some day and I'll get the opportunity to tell him how much his work meant to me.
03:56 PM - Dec 09, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
What a lovely story. I thought it was about Calvin and Hobbes. :)
10:39 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Jim Simpson
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
I think that might have been the inspiration. I love Calvin and Hobbes. I’m so happy to have the hard cover books with the complete collection.
04:12 PM - Nov 02, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
Beautiful story Jason.

Echoes of tales I've heard before, but plenty of fresh images and phrases. I wonder if its a story you could repurpose elsewhere on a larger scale?

PS: Good luck with the Thread challenge..
05:12 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Linda
A
Not gonna lie, got a little teared up reading this
10:16 PM - May 17, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}