Melody Pond (they/them)
A
Alternating caps [A.K.A. aLtErNaTiNg cApS] reads as gibberish to screen readers - an accessibility tool that reads text aloud. Mine reads the above A.K.A. as “uh elle tee er nah tee in see apps.” Help make your spouts accessible by not using alternating caps. #accessibility #TheMoreYouKnow 🌈⭐️
10:52 AM - May 19, 2023
M
A
In response to Melody Pond (they/them).
Thanks for providing a screen reader user’s perspective. Can you clarify whether CamelCase (capitalizing the first letter of words without spaces) helps screen readers recognize the individual words in #Splashtags or #hashtags ? It looks like the alternating caps read like each cap starts a word.
02:49 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to M.
Yes, that’s exactly it. Each capital letter essentially indicates the start of a new word.
02:58 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Connell McGrath
A
Why do people use alternating caps anyway? I've seen them, but don't get it.
12:07 PM - May 19, 2023
LGsMom
A
In response to Connell McGrath.
Qanon conspiracists “discovered” coded messages in posts/stories with misplaced letters, numbers and capitals. People who do it sarcastically are mocking Q nuts.
11:24 AM - May 21, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
Those always confuse me too.
11:03 AM - May 19, 2023
Cosmo 3807
A
It reads as gibberish to my human eyes as well. I don't understand why people do it.
10:58 AM - May 19, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to Cosmo 3807.
It’s supposed to convey a mocking tone, but oftentimes (not always) has ableist undertones. However, or why-ever, it’s used, it’s entirely possible to mock people in an accessible way, if it’s so desired [not to endorse mocking or anything, just saying.]
11:07 AM - May 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}