Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
This line changed my life as an educator.
“What I've found out and what I believe is that everybody is talented. It's just that some people get it developed and some don't.”

Stephen Sondheim, born this month in 1930.
#Sondheim
#HappyBirthday
#eduspouts
#mentors
#ProgressiveEducation
09:04 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Renae Duncan
A
A speaker once told us to think about our classes as a swimming pool. Some kids come to the pool after years of swim lessons, summers at the beach, & playing in their backyard pool. Others come with no experience swimming. When they arrive, we shove them all in the pool & expect them to succeed. TBC
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
07:50 AM - May 20, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Renae Duncan.
08:14 AM - May 20, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
(2/2) We preach individualized instruction, and maybe at the teacher level we do it, but we don’t do it at the institutional level. We don’t encourage students to find something they love, then set them up for success in that field.
08:04 AM - May 20, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
Good point.

Another thought: For the select group that wants to serve in the Army, we’ve decided that there are 200+ occupational specialties. But for the general student population, we think 7 basic subjects is ok? And we expect everyone to do well in all of them?
(1/2)
08:02 AM - May 20, 2023
Renae Duncan
A
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
So true! I spent my entire career in higher education. I met so many leaders and amazing professors who somehow survived high school despite crashing & burning in one or two subjects. Without individualized support, they never would have graduated. But, they made it and achieved at amazing levels.
08:15 AM - May 20, 2023
Renae Duncan
A
They all have the ability to succeed, but we expect them to have the basic skills when they arrive and teach based on that expectation. This leads to the rich kids succeeding and those who haven’t had the opportunities to develop those skills to fall behind. TBC
07:52 AM - May 20, 2023
Renae Duncan
A
A handful of inexperienced swimmers will thrash around enough to survive, but the others sink to the bottom of the pool. When we have huge classes, we can focus only on the kids we see (the good swimmers & the thrashers). We can’t see the ones who sank to the bottom - who COULD thrive with support
07:59 AM - May 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}