BigBrownGirl
A
thread 1/31
👋, * #LupusAwarenessMonth 'idly*

If all goes to the non-existent plan (watch this # space) you're gonna learn something you didn't #Lupus know April 30th

1) We don't need to boost our immune system, it's on overdrive *that's* the prob. Doin the immune sys most is how the health harm happens.
06:46 PM - May 01, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 2/31
🪴🌷 #LupusAwarenessMonth is also traditionally Get Your Hands In Dirt Month

Unless, of course, you’re #immunosuppressed / #Immunocompromised as most peeps w/ lupus are as a result of the live saving meds taken to, ya know, stay tf alive, who require several extra flower ‘n plant based precautions
09:32 PM - May 03, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 3/31
05:50 AM - May 04, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 4/31
Today’s #LupusAwarenessMonth learnin? Maybe ur familiar w/ a lil obscure true, ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’? Onetime famous foursome member, John Lennon wrote the song about a girl named (spoiler) Lucy. She was a schoolmate of his son, Julian. Lucy had lupus & died. Gone but clearly not forgotten
11:13 AM - May 04, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 5/31
63% of Americans surveyed are wholly unfamiliar with lupus, so congratulations on leaving that stat, 👍🏽 Knowin that it *exists* annnnnnndd that there are different types? That makes ya top tier aware. Not too Spoutible shabby, ⭐️ #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:32 AM - May 05, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 6/31
'Clothes cleaning machine' was what I said when 'washer' wouldn't' come. A normal brain-y blurp? 🧐Or? #LupusFog ? 20-50% of the Loopmmunity experience the term for concentration and memory probs, confusion & difficulty expressing yo'self that can be worsened by flares 🧠 #LupusAwarenessMonth
01:01 PM - May 06, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 7/31
Both 🌞 annnndd💡 are pretty damn dangerous to about 1 million Americans livin the lupus lifestyle. #LupusAwarenessMonth #ThisIsLupus
12:25 PM - May 07, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 8/31
Fact: People with #Lupus are NOT vampires.

But we are #VampireAdjacent .

In addition to being overly sensitive to light (👀 #LupusAwarenessMonth number 7) we're recommended (by Johns Hopkins) to 'conscientiously avoid' garlic usage. #YourNeckIsSafe
08:42 AM - May 08, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 9/31
- On avg it takes 4 yrs to be diagnosed hence it's med moniker, the great imitator
- Bodily betrayal biggies?🧠, lungs,💜, kidneys, joints, skin. But will perform fuckery on any internal sys (see: central nervous & digestive)
- Severity? Depending on person & day? Mild to deadly #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:34 PM - May 09, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 10/31
But? What's lupus like?
#LupusAwarenessMonth
07:58 AM - May 10, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 11/31
This mysterious word ‘flare’ gets tossed around, but if ya haven’t experienced it’s *Charlie Brown teacher talk*.

Context: broke my wrist whilst sportin & drove myself to the ER. In a stick whip. A flare? Had a day so painful I had to watch what was on v pushing remote button😬 #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:30 PM - May 11, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 12/31
Nausea is a common symptom. The byproduct of that is often weight loss. (PSA: 'u've lost weight' ain't always, great, Healthies) A side effect of many of the meds used to treat lupus is (1 guess)...🥁,🥁,🥁...nausea. + Steroids can cause a food rampage/queasy stomach standoff. #LupusAwarenessMonth
03:54 PM - May 12, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 13/31
Of people with Lupus:

5 of 10 will have kidney involvement (kids w/ the Loop? 80%😭)

10-30% will, like our most famous lupus-er, Selena Gomez, require a kidney transplant

The life span of a donated kidney is 8-12 years, while an organ from a life donor will last 20-23 years
#LupusAwarenessMonth
10:14 PM - May 18, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 14/31
MOST ppl don’t get enough Zzzz’s. Which is why on the surface *not getting a good night’s sleep* seems tres Complainy Jane-esque. But imagine everything u’ve ever heard about insomnia + (joints so painful the sheets hurt them, or mouthwatering nausea, or pain on every inhale) #LupusAwarenessMonth
12:24 AM - May 19, 2023 (Edited)
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 15/31
Traditionally, one of the more taboo #Lupus topics is one of its more universal symptoms, HAIR LOSS. As w/ everyfuckinthing lupus associated, ones own experience may run the gamut from barely noticeable to takin up residency in Wigville (for those so inLupusclined) #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:28 AM - May 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 16/31
Couture created w/ empty pill packs of *ONE of the meds* Rx’d to a lupus patient over 2.5 yrs (📸Royal College of General Practitioners)

TMI-y context? I’ll take a minimum of 6,500💊s this yr (NOT vitamin supplements, or Tylenol, etc just don’t-let-lupus-not-redrum-me-rn- meds) #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:12 AM - May 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 17/31
Q: Is there anything Lupus won’t fuck w/?
A: No

It’s a peeper havoc wreaker. Dry eye, retinal vasculitis, scleritis & optic neuritis (aka: ‘vision can be decreased or lost’, ‘causes pain’ & blurry vision’, & ‘causes optic nerve to atrophy’.

+ a go-to💊 can destroy macula #LupusAwarenessMonth
08:50 PM - May 20, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 18/31
Four of 10 Lupus live-rs will encounter💜difficulties. As a representative of the 4's, a fun way this has popped up for me was in the form of #PericardialEffusion a fun health romp where essentially lupus puts your heart in a full nelson holding it 'til you tag in cardiology #LupusAwarenessMonth
PERICARDIAL EFFUSION - YouTube

I really appreciate you watching this video. You are more than welcome to leave a comment or ask a question, I’ll do my best to get back to you. Make sure yo...

11:42 AM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 19/31
Just a minorly comical tale of a girl, a lil plural & pericardial effusion, and hard time management, without shanking anyone. #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:04 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 20/31
Listen, when your daily consists of:
-changing looks
-big weight swings (due to illness itself &💊s Rx’d for it a la steroids. ✊🏽, my fellow #MoonfaceMafia -ers)
-l o n g term pain coping
-abilities, $ & relationships wane
-efforts req’d to perform ‘normal’
…is it any wonder??
#LupusAwarenessMonth
09:15 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 21/31
Depression is a health condition. It’s a very common one experienced by (yes, all people) but particularly those in the #Loopmmunity . It’s complicated af. Your Dr is already aware of this. If you ( or ur support system) are noticing signs TELL YOUR DOC #StayHereSpoutible #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:27 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 22/31
Ppl w/ Lupus are at a📈risk for bone loss & breaks.🧐? Glucocorticoid meds trigger significant bone loss + Pain & fatigue from lupus results in inactivity (...leadin to📉mobility 'n stability) further upping osteoporosis risk. Bone loss may also occur as a direct result of lupus #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:07 AM - May 23, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 23/31
DYK on average it takes 6 YEARS to get diagnosed (read: begin treatment) w/ #Lupus ?

63% get misdiagnosed first (see, #TheGreatIntimitator )

To be dx’d one must reach a 10 point lupus litmus using American College of Rheumatology criteria:

#LupusAwarenessMonth #DoesItEqualSLE
09:23 AM - May 23, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 24/31
Money. Do you like it? Then DON'T get damn Lupus. It's estimated up to 1/2 of people living with it are unemployed.

On avg if you have lupus? You'll have 10-19 Drs appts/yr
-Ish 1/3 of patients are hospitalized 5-6 days/yr
(if working?) Avg sick days per month: 2.3
#LupusAwarenessMonth
08:01 AM - May 24, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 26/31
A few tips, tricks 'n best practices (imo) for those livin the lupus lifestyle:

#LupusAwarenessMonth
08:56 AM - May 26, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 27/31
#LupusAwarenessMonth There's no cure for Lupus. If luck, skilled medical oversight & a professional level of💊routine (+ a near complete avoidance of the extremely hard to determine✌overdoing it✌) converge it won't kill us rn.

Our position on the spectrum of life altering to deadly fluctuates but:
10:00 PM - May 28, 2023 (Edited)
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 28/31

Side note:✨this✨is why some 'feel better' type sentiments sometimes hit our ear (particularly from ppl w/ a closeness) as *I haven't bothered to understand the medical condition you're enduring the same general way I have MA, cancer, or the plague of Lego foot impalements* #LupusAwarenessMonth
10:03 PM - May 28, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 29/31
A thrill of livin w/ Lupus is how often one gets to play amateur medical detective to establish whether the symptom u're experiencing is simply a symptom of your condition --or-- a side effect of one of ur plethora o' stay alive pills. Also whether said symptom is nbd or💀'ly. #LupusAwarenessMonth
03:28 PM - May 29, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 30/31
This is a great explainer. #LupusAwarenessMonth
What Exactly is Lupus? - YouTube

Our immune system is an incredible thing. It’s a complex, disease-fighting machine, capable of fending off attacks from bacteria and viruses. But what happen...

08:55 PM - May 30, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 31/31
Here's an extra nerdy version next bc I know I wasn't the only 10 y/o joy readin the PDR 'n Merrick:
#LupusAwarenessMonth #SLE #medspout #Lupus #WaitTilEyeTellYaBoutMySplenicInfarct
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) - causes, symptoms, diagnosis & pathology - YouTube

What is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)? SLE's an autoimmune disease that can affect any tissue or organ in the body, but most often affects the skin, kid...

09:00 PM - May 30, 2023
Mike Nunya
A
In response to BigBrownGirl.
One of my sisters has Lupus. She was driving home on the highway and lost her vision. She was fortunate enough to be able to tell by the sound (rumble strip) that she'd gotten the car off the highway, then used the voice command on her cell to call for help.
08:57 PM - May 20, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
In response to Mike Nunya.
Had an uncle who had a similar (non-Lupus) experience, he'd always followed another uncle home from the mines, by taillight. One night the other uncle was so far ahead he couldn't see his lights 'n pulled off. I can't imagine. Tell her some Spoutible stranger thinks she's a badass &✨sends good mojo✨
09:14 PM - May 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}