Brent Peters
A
I had a long dream in Japanese last night.

It's been a long time since that happened
(at least that I consciously remember)

I've been reading lots of tweets about Japan and tweets in Japanese. My brain decided I might be living in Japan again.

It was a nice feeling

#LangSpout
#Language
04:28 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
In response to Brent Peters.
Thanks for sharing your recent dream in Japanese. I started having dreams in English a few years after I moved to the US. Now I often don’t remember which language I “spoke” in my dreams by the time I wake up????
09:12 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Brent Peters
A
In response to Fumie Ichikawa.
Yes. That also happens. I'm not sure what language I was dream-speaking.

And I have wondered if I'm really using the language or I just *feel* like I'm using it in the dream.

But, I remember searching my mind for specific vocabulary words. It's interesting.
04:25 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
I do the same-what words did I hear or use in my dream-this helps. It is definitely interesting.
08:01 AM - Feb 12, 2023
Brent Peters
A
I'm curious. Do you know other languages besides Japanese & English ?
05:13 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
I have taken Italian and Spanish for about a year each back in college but sadly I’m only proficient in English and Japanese. How about you, Brent?
05:26 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Brent Peters
A
I've studied many to various levels.
Some I just know the script, a few words, basic grammar

Some I can read easy to intermediate

My best is Japanese, followed by Spanish.

I have forgot a lot, or it *feels* like I've forgotten.
So, I understand.
05:35 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
I almost forgot but I wanted to learn Finnish-there was only one book available in Japan back in mid 90s. I think I read a first couple of chapters…then faded. I thought about studying abroad in Finland at an English medium program but their TOEFL requirement was a bit too high for me back then.
05:39 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Brent Peters
A
I never looked into Finnish until this week!

I learned it has 15 cases!! So I wanted to see.
I don't know anything about it yet, really.

I see you have spent your life between Japan and America. I'm sure that gives you interesting perspective.
05:45 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
In terms of my biggest language journey, I wanted to move to a work environment where Japanese lang was not considered, and it took 10+ years. It’s like any other pendulum that you might be on-I moved away from Japanese but now I swing back and contribute to our language justice work in the org.
06:12 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Brent Peters
A
I'm also trying to move away from that. It's been beneficial to have the "'language card" when job seeking. But it also means I've always worked with/for Japanese companies and clients in Japan-related industries (automotive)

I'm building my second career.

So what "org"?
06:17 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
My first two jobs were in J automotive world so I am fairly familiar with the industry. I came to realize that I didn’t like working where I need to do physical inventory (I can run numbers but didn’t like counting), so my second step was in International education. Then I realized my work didn’t
06:35 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Fumie Ichikawa
A
touch anything locally in the state… and combined with a merger situation, I looked for something else and landed in a school district where I live via an educational philanthropic organization. I’m still with the same district now. Lang Justice-I represent minority languages/perspectives.
06:39 PM - Feb 12, 2023
Brent Peters
A
"Lang Justice-I represent minority languages/perspectives."

Omg. That's super interesting!
I'm very interested in this sort of thing.

Since I was really young I've been interested in other cultures and languages - and how they interacts. How barriers form and how those barriers can be bridged
06:53 PM - Feb 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}