Blessed and Highly Favored
A
thread 1/4
So my rare plants arrived, I’m so excited!!! I’m now the owner of FIVE Antarctic Beeches (Nothofagus moorei)! The only place I know you can see these in the USA is SF Botanic gardens. They are paleo endemic to eastern Australia, and are from the cretaceous era. I’m so thankful to my friends in 1/
11:17 PM - May 23, 2023
A
thread 2/4
In the plant community for helping me source these gorgeous beauties!!! This species was once called by a different name (it was racially loaded) and now shares a name colloquially with the South American variety also called Antarctic Beech (Nothofagus antarctica).
11:22 PM - May 23, 2023
A
thread 3/4
For context, here’s some pictures in their habitat courtesy of Dawe4Peter on twitter. These trees once covered forests from Antarctica through Australia, and gradually disappeared as they separated iced over and dried out.
11:27 PM - May 23, 2023
A
thread 4/4
These wonderful trees now only exist in a handful of places, separated by distance with some stands so old they can no longer produce seed. I’m so thankful to even own one, let alone five of them 😭.
11:29 PM - May 23, 2023
A
I believe BC has a similar climate (Cfb) that they are found in and should totally grow well there! My trips to AU/NZ were magical; their forests are truly mind-bending, beautiful and ancient. I would love to visit Southern Chile and Argentina to check out their southern Valdivian forests too.
In response to Silke Spoutista.
02:31 AM - May 24, 2023
Silke Spoutista
A
In response to Blessed and Highly Favored.
These ancient species capture me because of their almost primordial appearance. Like you can almost ‘see’ as it forms the evolutionary transitions at work from the grasses futher developing branching systems! Amazeballs! 😳🤯😎
02:44 AM - May 24, 2023 (Edited)
Silke Spoutista
A
Alt text- All images are of various views of the Monkey Puzzle Tree-
02:41 AM - May 24, 2023
Silke Spoutista
A
Crazy cool! We have these! Commonly known as Monkey Puzzle trees, or Monkey Pines where I live in BC. These are a fascinating species as well, and being an OG growth evergreen, I figured the climates might be compatible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w...
02:36 AM - May 24, 2023
A
In response to Silke Spoutista.
I love them! They are an excellent specimen tree. I have a couple growing that are about 5ft tall. They are super spiky to the touch, but they look fantastic nonetheless 😍
02:40 AM - May 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}