Desert Voice
A
thread 1/4
Extremely important post and thank you. I was aware of 11 black massacres, but not all. This let's us know that there were countless lynchings and hate crimes unaccounted for. Blacks have been terrorized since day 1.
11:28 AM - May 27, 2023
Desert Voice
A
thread 2/4
I learned about the Wilmington, NC massacre at our history museum here, but I don't see it being taught or talked about--and it's a huge part of NC history. It's no wonder white folks have such a skewed view of racism; we must self-educate and we must do better because we are continuing...
11:34 AM - May 27, 2023
Desert Voice
A
thread 3/4
11:35 AM - May 27, 2023 (Edited)
Desert Voice
A
thread 4/4
We say that those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it...yet many states and school systems are determined to teach only the history that supports their preferred narrative. (Sherry Kappel, FB)
11:40 AM - May 27, 2023
Steve Hill
B
In response to Desert Voice.
If you haven't seen it Parks and Recreation had one where they marked a map of all Indian massacrers in blue (not white)!
02:46 AM - Jun 05, 2023
Desert Voice
A
In response to Steve Hill.
Thank you! Every American should learn about these horrors.
12:27 AM - Jun 12, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
1919: Chicago, Washington DC, Elaine, AR.
+ another in 1917, 1920.

I need to learn more about these; I know the late teens had action n progress to pass and ratify the 19th amendment to not deny right to vote bc of sex. Is red summer (1919) a ‘don’t you get any ideas’ backlash response, or…?
12:27 PM - May 27, 2023
Desert Voice
A
In response to Susan A. Kitchens.
Yes, I think "Don't you dare!" is always part of past and current terrorism. Wikipedia says it was due to competition and post WWI economic slump.

I think it was due to fear and hate, as it is today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer
01:43 AM - Jun 02, 2023
Sonia C
A
And these are only the ones that got reported. I know there were lynchings in rural Louisiana towns that never got reported. 😔

Our history is shameful and until we right the wrongs, atone for our past, we will never heal. By omitting and whitewashing our history we are perpetuating the atrocities.
11:55 AM - May 27, 2023
Desert Voice
A
In response to Sonia C.
On point. We live with aggravated PTSD as the terrorism continues today.
02:51 AM - Jun 02, 2023
Desert Voice
A
Sherry Kappel: We say that those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it...yet many states and school systems are determined to teach only the history that supports their preferred narrative. 1 of 3
11:31 AM - May 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}