Brendan Koerner
A
thread 1/9
I feel like not enough people are paying attention to the utter weirdness of Antonio Brown's stewardship of Albany's arena football team—something that I experienced firsthand over the weekend!
11:47 AM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 2/9
On Friday night, my son found out that Antonio Brown had vowed to play for the Albany Empire, the arena football team that he owns at least a piece of. (The exact ownership structure is pretty murky!)
Antonio Brown catches pass at Albany Empire practice - YouTube

Former NFL All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown made a cameo appearance running a route and catching a pass at the Albany Empire’s practice on Thursday. ⁠⁠Bro...

11:50 AM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 3/9
I had a hunch that Brown might not make good on his promise, seeing as how much things have gone awry in Albany since his takeover. Players haven't been paid, resulting in a bunch of them leaving. Also, there was a fight on the team bus?
11:53 AM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 4/9
But my son really wanted the chance to watch a future Hall of Famer make his comeback, so we drove the 80 miles to Albany for the game. The player intros were quite the spectacle, though we noted that Brown was nowhere to be seen.
11:58 AM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 5/9
Brown did show up in the crowd in the first half, and to his credit he signed one zillion autographs. I think it's also safe to say that he's the coolest dresser in mid-state New York. He obviously didn't play, which is probably for the best—it's a rough sport.
12:01 PM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 6/9
Albany got drilled in the game, after which I created an Instagram story in which I gently ribbed Brown for failing to play as promised. He responded! Perhaps he's a bigger Samuel Beckett fan than I realized.
12:03 PM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 7/9
Then just yesterday, Brown fired his head coach—again. On his way out the door, Pete Porcelli told the local newspaper that Brown is "duping the fans and he’s insulting the city of Albany."
12:07 PM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 8/9
Now Brown is offering former NFL MVP Cam Newton $150,000 to play in one game for the Empire. Good luck with that.
12:08 PM - May 30, 2023
Brendan Koerner
A
thread 9/9
Absolutely one of the most fascinating trainwrecks in sports right now. I cannot look away.
12:10 PM - May 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}