Dennis A
A
On social media like Spoutible, without a curated algorithmic timeline, think of likes as a message to the original Spoutie that you like their content. Think of echoes as a message to other Spouties that they should check out the content. It's not like the bird app.
02:42 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
In response to Dennis A.
That...is what those things mean on the bird app also?
02:49 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Dennis A
A
Not really. On the bird app you're actually talking to the algorithm more than other people. A like here isn't going to spread a spout. On the bird app the algorithm will put content that has many likes or views back on the feed. Here great content can just scroll off the timeline.
In response to Rev. Magdalen.
02:53 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
In response to Dennis A.
I'll never understand the hatred some people have for the Algorithm. It was excellent, and its destruction is what's causing the exodus from Twitter. If there's no algorithm, marginalized voices can't go viral and be heard.
02:56 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Rev. Magdalen
A
This is what killed Mastodon. Once people realized it was all siloed and there was no intelligent curation revealing trends and raising awareness, there was no point in using it for activism.
02:57 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Dennis A
A
Algoritmic feeds also have many serious problems. They can cause division and conflict. They keep you not only engaged but also enraged. Chronological feeds also have issues. I think a mixed feed with a heavily user configurable algorithm is best. See my two spouts about social media feeds.
03:07 PM - Feb 13, 2023
EPinCO
A
In response to Dennis A.
Thanks for the explanation

So should we do something differently here?

Or only make sure to "echo" and not just like?
02:55 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Dennis A
A
In response to EPinCO.
Yes, exactly. I have several recent spouts discussing this issue and two spouts of articles about social media feeds.
03:11 PM - Feb 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}