Cyrano The Third
A
thread 1/2
I just read a curious article on dating, and I would like some opinions on the subject:

Is being sober a red flag/deal breaker?

While the article addresses what women think, I would like to read the answers of anyone who’s interested. I’ll share my opinion on the comments.
10:44 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Cyrano The Third
A
thread 2/2
Some of the comments in the article I read said that a dry date is a red flag because it could be an addiction issue.

Even if it is, seeing a date engage to stay dry is actually a plus for me.
10:55 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Crystal Moore, PhD
A
In response to Cyrano The Third.
I don’t see it s a red flag. I find it scarier that some people drink excessively and don’t recognize how problematic it is. Awareness and a desire to change should be heralded … IMHO.
12:08 PM - Jun 07, 2023
Socio-gen
A
I can see why it might be, for some people, but for me -- no. I can't drink alcohol because of meds I take, so I don't mind if the other person isn't drinking either. Honestly, the red flag would be someone trying to get me to drink.

It does depend on where in the dating process you are, however.
11:28 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Socio-gen.
In the first to 6ish dates, I don't disclose my reasons for abstaining. If it seems like things might be getting more serious, I will mention it and ask if they have any reasons for not drinking. If I'm not comfortable asking by date 6 or 7, that's a sign they may not be a long-term prospect.
11:36 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Cyrano The Third
A
I am dry, have been for a few years now. I’m not judgmental either way, but I will notice if my date is either, and I will have a conversation about it before engaging in a relationship. I don’t think drinking is inherently bad, but just like everything in a relationship, there should be honesty.
10:52 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Goose
A
Sober like, teetotal? I think if sobriety is a red flag for someone about their date, they probably weren’t going to be compatible in the first place.
10:49 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Cyrano The Third
A
thread 1/2
Some of the comments in the article I read said that a dry date is a red flag because it could be an addiction issue.

Even if it is, seeing a date engage to stay dry is actually a plus for me.
10:55 AM - Jun 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}