Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 1/11
ON LETTING GO

It's hard for many writers to let go of our literary babies. But not letting go will hinder our careers in traditional publishing. I've seen this first-hand in my role as a freelance editor.

#ThreadChallenge
01:44 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 2/11
Many writers who produce quality narratives--fiction or non-fiction--will never publish them because we never hit send.
Sometimes this is due to perfectionism.
Sometimes this is due to a fear of rejection.
But we can never get a yes without risking a no. Pick a date and submit or query by then.
01:47 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 3/11
But it doesn't end there:
Many writers send their work believing it is perfect. They can't see its flaws. They can't even accept style changes to better suit the publisher. They refuse all edits.
Yes, sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. But usually: Accept the edits--at least most of them.
01:51 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 4/11
Other writers experience the opposite issue. They're so extremely insecure that they can't stop revising. They submit a piece, then pull the submission & resubmit, then do it again. Or they sign a contract & then make changes not requested by the publisher. Know how to accept when your work is done.
01:53 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 5/11
(Side note: a good way to stop obsessing about the project that you've already queried or submitted, including one your hands are itching to keep tinkering with, is to move onto a new project. Let that fresh idea take up your mental space, time & energy.)
01:55 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 6/11
Now we're going to talk about house style guides. Sometimes, we strongly favor one style guide or another. (Heck, I like to spell the color grey with an E, so...) Let go of those preferences if the publisher is consistently following any style guide. As long as its uniform, it'll look professional.
01:57 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 7/11
The next bit addresses illustrations & covers. Unless you're a professional illustrator, you'll likely have little to no say about how your characters look, the overall style, etc. Unfortunately, you can't manifest the images in your brain. So let go (although feel free to cry in the corner).
02:00 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 8/11
Sure, there details worth fighting for, but editors & the audience are generally on the same team as us. They want our works to shine. Let them share the polishing job.
I hope the advice upthread helps new & newish authors develop the skill of letting go. It really applies to life in general.
02:05 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 9/11
When writers shouldn't compromise:
-Don't let go if an editor wants to change the meaning or intent of your work, particularly in a way which would harm others or misrepresent your values.
-Don't let go if they are in violation of a contract.
-Don't let go till you do due diligence--BE PROFESSIONAL.
02:58 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 10/11
What do I mean by due diligence?
-Did you fact-check? Even in fiction, don't skip this step.
-Did you get feedback, revise, get the piece proofread?
-Did you make sure you're submitting to a legit venue?
Don't submit a piece w/o doing those things first. But afterwards, let go.
03:16 PM - May 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
thread 11/11
I know writers who have ended up unpublished:
-when they revised a book under contract to the point it was no longer the book under contract
-when they refused to comply w/a style guide
-when they tried to replace the draft they submitted w/a revision.
Let go and move on! Your next project awaits.
03:20 PM - May 16, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
Thanks very much for your advice Rebecca.

There seems to be an endless number of miss-steps writers can take. But you've laid out clearly some good encouragement and clear dos/don'ts.

All the best with the Thread challenge.
In response to Rebecca Klempner.
10:40 PM - Jun 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}