Nana of the Shire
A
thread 1/10
#ThreadChallenge
My son, Nicholas, is special. He was born special, through a very difficult pregnancy. There are people who would argue that the term “special” is misleading or inaccurate, but I will cling to my heart’s knowledge as his mother, that he is special, and apart from other sons.
08:37 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 2/10
#ThreadChallenge
He was taken from my womb early… too early to escape consequences from his premature birth. He was beautiful, even angelic. But he was so quiet. So still. Mothers usually know when things are not as they should be. So it was with me.
08:39 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 3/10
#ThreadChallenge
For three weeks, I watched and waited, knowing there was something, but not knowing what. He was admitted to a Children’s Hospital. The issues were varied but all related to early birth. I packed a bag an moved in his hospital room and there we stayed for 3 months.
08:40 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 4/10
#ThreadChallenge
He grew. He gained weight slowly. He was poked, prodded and subjected to endless testing and lab work. He was calm. Peaceful. I sat in the rocking chair in the hospital and prayed, determined to rock him into health. He watched my face, silently. He smiled at me. He rarely cried.
08:41 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 5/10
#ThreadChallenge
Crisis passed. We went home with assorted medical paraphernalia. He continued to grow. He laughed. He smiled. His health improved. But he was so quiet.
08:42 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 6/10
#ThreadChallenge
Age two arrives and finally there is sound. “Hoo, Hoo.” He pointed. He gestured. “Hoo, Hoo!” This was his vocabulary until he was six. He understood us. He comprehended everything we spoke to him. He managed to use, “Hoo, Hoo,” to communicate to us what he wanted.
08:43 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 7/10
#ThreadChallenge
We paid attention. We learned. We grew with him.
08:44 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 8/10
#ThreadChallenge
Age 5, in our car. I was driving, just the two of us in the car. Between us, on the console, was my bible. Nicholas touched my sleeve. “ Hoo, Hoo.” I asked him what he needed. He tapped my bible with his palm. “Hoo, Hoo.” I said, “Yes, honey. That’s my bible.”
08:45 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 9/10
#ThreadChallenge
He said, “Hoo, Hoo,” again and I glanced over. He took his right index finger and touched his left palm. He took his left index finger and touched his right palm. Then he stretched his arms wide and looked down. “Hoo, Hoo?”
08:46 PM - May 15, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
thread 10/10
#ThreadChallenge
This time a question. I said, “Yes, Nick. Jesus.” And I knew it would all eventually be okay.
08:47 PM - May 15, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
Hi Karen,

Thanks for sharing a deeply personal story.

I hope Nick keeps making progress and there are many more beautiful moments amongst the challenges.
In response to Nana of the Shire.
05:54 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
In response to Gabe McGrath.
Thank you. I appreciate that very much.
09:45 AM - Jun 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}