George Steffanos
A
thread 1/4
40 years ago today: I eased the puppy off my pack and lifted it onto my shoulders. The #AppalachianTrail crossed Virginia Highway 601, a narrow, rural road, and went through an open field for a short distance

#backpacking #hiking #landscapephotography #nature #Mountains #Virginia #forest #adventure
12:47 PM - Jun 09, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 2/4
before disappearing into the trees. I said good-bye to my two new friends and turned away, crossing the road and the field without looking back. I hiked for a long time before stopping to rest.

The trail soon began a long climb up Whitetop, the second-tallest mountain in Virginia.
12:48 PM - Jun 09, 2023
George Steffanos
A
thread 3/4
Extensive meadows covered the crest near the summit. I trod wide-open rocky grasslands beneath a hazy, whitewashed sky and felt my flagging spirits revive a little. It was a great place for me to be at that moment.
George Steffanos
A
thread 4/4
The gap between Whitetop Mountain and Mount Rogers was home to another large meadow, filled with more bluets than I had seen in one place since southern North Carolina.

More of My 1983 #AppalachianTrail Hike in Photos at https://www.georgesteffano...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}