Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
thread 1/5
"Shaming is often a way of deflecting from the work you still have to do, a way of framing yourself as a “good ally” and others as “bad.” But allyship isn’t something you are; it’s something you do. It’s a lifelong commitment to fighting for a racially just world."
08:25 AM - Jun 13, 2023
A
thread 2/5
I'm gonna scream #4 from the rooftops, accomplices-to-be, even as I consider divesting myself of the term ally in general. There are folks who parrot us and do this and think they are being "good allies". It really doesn't help. There are some other common traps on the post I link to keep in mind.
08:28 AM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 3/5
I think number 5 ties into a lot of the dogpile posts lately, too, as well as 4. Folks are thinking they are being good accomplices-to-be doing 4 and 5.
--
GIF ID: Admiral Akbar (From Star Wars) announcing "It's a trap"
08:37 AM - Jun 13, 2023
A
thread 4/5
More will probably go on this thread and/or in a separate thread later ad I take in more coffee, but yes. This mentality is contributing to making this site less hospitable and doesn't really help us much. It's also way too commonplace of a thing for accomplices-to-be to do.
08:42 AM - Jun 13, 2023
A
thread 5/5
Eh. They ended up being separate posts. I may like them up in a rewrite eventually.
06:03 PM - Jun 13, 2023
A
In response to Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs.
I highly recommend @LeciaMichelle11 's
"White Allies Handbook" for more... Future #spoutiblereads ? ;)

(I need to find my copy in the DOOMpiles of my apartment and put it on the bookshelf where it belongs!)
08:54 AM - Jun 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}