Barbara Reid
A
thread 1/7
I make collages using paint and old photographs, maps and other ephemera from my family's history to try and document their lives. This dovetails nicely with an interest in genealogy.

This is a tribute to my Dad in honor of Father's Day on Sunday.
09:31 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 2/7
My Dad was a hands on parent at a time when that was less common for fathers. Mr. Beckage was known and loved in the neighborhood; he was frequently out in the street playing games with kids or teaching them how to do something. Everyone liked my dad because he liked everyone else.
09:32 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 3/7
He didn't talk about himself or try to force his ideas on us; he was more interested in what made us tick.
09:33 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 4/7
When I was in 3rd grade and wanted to become a scientist, I was thrilled to get a microscope and chemistry set for Christmas. Dad was my partner for most of those experiments.
09:34 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 5/7
On long walks at night, we'd walk hand in hand and discuss any questions I had about the world which were increasingly about the universe, his job at DOD (Dept. of Defense), and photography.
09:34 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 6/7
At my dad's memorial service 19 yrs ago, my SIL called him "without guile." I thought of that comment for a long time afterwards, because when you grow up with someone like my father, you don't realize this attribute until you come in contact with its opposite.
09:36 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
thread 7/7
I'm still not certain how my dad was such an exceptionally gentle yet intelligent and giving man.
I miss you, Dad.

Happy Father's Day to all of you who parent or otherwise show love to children. Special thoughts to those who have tough memories and struggle with the day.
09:40 PM - Jun 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}