Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 1/5
An insight to Living as a Black Person in America. Yesterday, I saw my new PCP for the 1st time. We discussed pain managemnt for an upcoming surgery I have scheduled. During the convo, she mentioned a drug and how it could cause a 'Red Rash' to appear. I asked, "ok, what would the rash look like (1)
01:09 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 2/5
On Black people?" She looked confused and said it shouldn't look any different than on anyone else, like hives to which I told her that I've had hives many times and they never appear as a RED rash on my Black skin. Aft a little silence, we then had a discussion abt how they appear and how (2)
01:13 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 3/5
Frustrating it is when something does come up, goggleing how a rash or weird mole or anything derm should look is confusing bc the models are always white. It is never taken into consideration that Black & Brown folk may have a different response. She noted this and agreed that medical needs to (3)
01:16 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 4/5
Do better & apologized that she never considered that what I experience may be different than what her white patients do. She also thanked me for bringing the subject up.

This is a small(ish) reason why a lot of Black folk prefer to hv Black doctors (sadly none are near me that my ins covers (4)
01:22 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 5/5
"Small" assuptions like this can 💀 us. Someone who doesn't know may be looking for a RED rash not realizing the BROWN rash they're looking at may be harming them.
Please Black people, If a med professional states what something shd look like on you, challenge them. It could save your life (5)
01:26 PM - Jun 17, 2023 (Edited)
LO
A
(Continued) being labeled a drug seeker gets you tylenol for a migraine & shoved in a make shift room til the end of shift. Suffering.
In response to LO.
08:08 AM - Jun 18, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
In response to LO.
So much this!
There are a lot of articles written abt the disaparity of how pain management is delt with between Black and white people. Add also the diffence in how male pain and female pain is treated...then consider what pain management for a Black Female looks like
08:51 AM - Jun 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}