Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 1/5
An insight to Living as a Black Person in America. Yesterday, I saw my new PCP for the 1st time. We discussed pain managemnt for an upcoming surgery I have scheduled. During the convo, she mentioned a drug and how it could cause a 'Red Rash' to appear. I asked, "ok, what would the rash look like (1)
01:09 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 2/5
On Black people?" She looked confused and said it shouldn't look any different than on anyone else, like hives to which I told her that I've had hives many times and they never appear as a RED rash on my Black skin. Aft a little silence, we then had a discussion abt how they appear and how (2)
01:13 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 3/5
Frustrating it is when something does come up, goggleing how a rash or weird mole or anything derm should look is confusing bc the models are always white. It is never taken into consideration that Black & Brown folk may have a different response. She noted this and agreed that medical needs to (3)
01:16 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 4/5
Do better & apologized that she never considered that what I experience may be different than what her white patients do. She also thanked me for bringing the subject up.

This is a small(ish) reason why a lot of Black folk prefer to hv Black doctors (sadly none are near me that my ins covers (4)
01:22 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
thread 5/5
"Small" assuptions like this can 💀 us. Someone who doesn't know may be looking for a RED rash not realizing the BROWN rash they're looking at may be harming them.
Please Black people, If a med professional states what something shd look like on you, challenge them. It could save your life (5)
01:26 PM - Jun 17, 2023 (Edited)
Kathleen F789
A
In response to Zaya Rose ⛧.
I appreciate this information. My multi-racial toddler grandson has eczema that I would not have recognized had my son-in-law not pointed it out to me.

I really love how generous people are on Spoutible in sharing their knowledge on so many topics. #Spoutible is the best.
09:26 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
In response to Kathleen F789.
Thank you for educating yourself for your grandson's sake. The more you know, the better you will be able to advocate for him
11:33 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®
A
Thank you for this!

Also, women, be sure you understand/know the symptoms of heart attacks for us!

Most of the accepted info is based on what happens to men & it can be very different for women.

Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer.

Sadly, you have to advocate/educate 4 yourself!
06:02 PM - Jun 18, 2023
LO
A
I overstand. It's almost like needing a medical "green book". I've had a black, female physician who used to convert it for me. For ex: this is what flush or pale looks like for us. Oh that? That's hives for us. Also, having to PROVE I'm sick at the ER, is beyond exhausting. Being labeled a drug see
08:03 AM - Jun 18, 2023
LO
A
In response to LO.
(Continued) being labeled a drug seeker gets you tylenol for a migraine & shoved in a make shift room til the end of shift. Suffering.
08:08 AM - Jun 18, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
In response to LO.
Yes, yes, yes to this!

*(i still haven't figured out what flush or pale looks like on me)
08:47 AM - Jun 18, 2023
Lisse (she/her)
A
I’m so sorry you had this experience.❤️ I did too. I suffer from several autoimmune diseases that require me to see a rheumatologist. The “rash” was something I dealt with too. No one understood. I found an Asian Indian Dr. who had the same skin tone. She understood, But the problem is still bigger.
10:02 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Please keep sharing this kind of info, lifting up these concerns. I can only echo to amplify. + hope others will also keep pressing + asking these questions. Also kudos for the emotional effort I'm sure it took 2 use a kindly educating tone, when you have every right to be totally pissed.
09:06 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Barbara Reid
A
I'm so sorry that you had that experience with your health care professional. That was ignorance on her part. I hope she learned something memorable in your exchange! Sheesh. How painful. Trust with a doc is crucial.
08:46 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
Serious, weathering truth, sis🖐🏾🔥 Thank you for lifting this up high. I hope all the white health providers here take this information deep into their minds. There's too much ignorance. And people wonder why Black folks & other deeply melanated folks have issues with doctors and other providers.
08:33 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
Yes!
Also why a lot of Black folk don't go to the doctors regularly. Just another place of not being heard and disrespected
08:39 PM - Jun 17, 2023
♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell
A
Medical schools and my white community overall need to do better.
08:27 PM - Jun 17, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
I fear I know where this is going...
01:11 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
It's frustrating that we have to continually educate...esp medical professionals
01:34 PM - Jun 17, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}