Stewart Tan
A
thread 1/6
Starting this spout to give Minnie some ideas of non-meat Filipino dishes to try (well, find, then try) and some pix for identification:
1) Pancit Palabok
Rice noodle dish with shrimp sauce; can be topped with non-meat ingredients like cooked shrimp, egg, etc.)

@Minnie
@JessMartin
10:59 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 2/6
2) Fresh lumpia
Lumpia sariwa (fresh) is vegetable in a soft wrapper (some type of crepe) garnished with sweet sauce and crushed peanuts
11:05 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 3/6
3) Fried bangus (milkfish)
Bangus is the Filipino word for milkfish and is yummy, specially if you get the boneless type (the bones are invisible). Best part is the belly.

Note: most of the photos I found from https://panlasangpinoy.com which has a lot of 🇵🇭 recipes
11:09 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 4/6
Just realized I may be getting ahead of myself. First thing is to locate a Filipino restaurant! Hopefully this is useful and gives you some dishes that you can find/try!
11:12 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 5/6
Forgot to tag @halohalomls who I'm sure will have more non-meat 🇵🇭 dishes to suggest 😀
11:17 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 6/6
Very important disclaimer: I didn't not cook any of these dishes (in hindsight, I should have added that to the first thread!). However, I think I have sufficient experience on the "consumption" side, so that balances out!
08:53 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
Oh I like the fried fish. I'll look for that. I've had the ubiquitous fried lumpia -- they used to serve that at my dorm cafeteria! But of course I don't know if that was authentic. And I agree that bitter melon doesn't appealing. 😂
In response to Stewart Tan.
04:37 PM - Jun 19, 2023 (Edited)
Stewart Tan
A
In response to Minnie the Pooh.
Bangus/milkfish gets a bad rap because of the bizillion bones (good for the boneless kind!).

Growing up in 🇵🇭 fresh fish was plentiful! Now, not so much!

Funny story: on a trip to 🇵🇭 a long time ago, I told my brother the fish is fresh! He said "idiot, it was still alive 1 hr ago!"
04:50 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
In response to Stewart Tan.
We used to eat so much fish in Seoul, cuz you know, not that much land to raise cattle and things. Every day the fishmonger would come along and sell fresh fish. I have no idea what those fish were called! But I love fried fish that looks sorta like this.
04:56 PM - Jun 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}