Professor Kyle
A
What white, cis/het people want most is to shy away from difficult conversation because deep down they know their own problematic behavior & privilege will be revealed. Better to bury it, ignore it, sugarcoat it with platitudes than to own up to contributing to the suffering of the marginalized.
09:26 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Cathy Briggs
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Not I. I want to me politely told that my words or behavior are offensive/racist. That is the only way I can learn and grow.
11:16 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I happen to be a cis hetero white male, but I want these difficult conversations to happen. How else do we effect change if we're too timid to have such conversations? Many cis hetero caucasian men are eager to have difficult discussions. It's how we progress as a society. We need them to happen...
09:59 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Young Lesbian Dre
A
I mean...you not wrong at all.
09:59 PM - Jun 19, 2023
♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell
A
Don't forget the able bodied. The United States remains ableist and inaccessible despite the passage of the ADA.
09:57 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to ♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell.
Absolutely.
09:58 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Zaya Rose ⛧
A
Just watch how often and QUICKLY the call goes out...for example: "It's getting real heavy in here, someone send me kitten/puppy pictures" or "The conversation is too deep, let's change the subject by talking about our favorite Elvis song"
Lots of folk ain't willing or ready
09:43 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Zaya Rose ⛧.
(Kinda) unrelated, but that made me think of the line from Public Enemy:

Elvis was a hero to most, but he
Never meant shit to me, you see, straight out
Racist—that sucker was simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne!
09:57 PM - Jun 19, 2023

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

Eddie Sangalang
A
Leave it to the next generation to deal w/ the pain, guilt and consequences, like the founding fathers did w/ slavery.
09:43 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Eddie Sangalang.
Exaclty this. Still dealing with the same issues because we keep burying them.
10:54 PM - Jun 19, 2023
PS Annie
A
Or we're afraid that you will ask us the lay down our privilege to stand with or speak out for marginalized folks. A lot of my kind are seriously afraid of confrontation. I don't particularly like it either, but I can't be silent. I don't always know what to say or do, but I listen & I'm learning.
09:37 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to PS Annie.
Absolutely. So much of this debate is about avoiding confrontation – which conveniently leaves the status quo of quiet supremacy intact.
09:42 PM - Jun 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}