Professor Kyle
A
Most white people still don't understand affirmative action. Even ones who claim to be liberal bemoan the "unfairness" of non-whites getting "preference" – when the reality is that they're the ones who *always* get preference in every aspect of life due to their white skin.
11:21 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Holly Lewis
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
I don't think it is AA that is the problem, but how it is implemented by an organization. From what I have read the purpose is to gain a diverse candidacy by "casting a wider net" and put a critical eye on qualifications that are set high without reason. Looking only at GPA is pretty narrow.
03:03 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Erica
A
What do you think would happen if college applications were de-identified and only grades & test scores were included? No names, no address, no age, no gender, etc.
02:53 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
I have shared this article a few times about how Davis managed to create a diverse medical school. Anywhere else, school or employer, could use similar tactics, I would think?
https://www.statnews.com/2...
02:51 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
This is interesting. By randomly assigning kids to the student council, they produced better results than when they held elections. Partly because the randomness ensured diversity.

https://www.pushkin.fm/pod...
02:45 PM - Jun 27, 2023 (Edited)
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
(3/3) ... actually work. But a funny stat is that, in professional sports, most "coach of the year" recipients get fired within 5 years. All of those eyeballs on that process, and they can't get it right, what hope does the post office or Walmart have?
02:30 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
Yes to all of this. Employers need to rethink their hiring practices...& that's also why "representation matters" is not just a catchphrase but a necessity – you need diverse people doing the hiring so they will uplift others like themselves.
02:32 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd
A
The fact that there had to be an "action" should be a clue, but white privilege allows one to remain clueless. Whiteness is a self-imposed mental illness.
02:28 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
(2/3) So every little thing we can do to shake up the procedure is a win for the entire organization, because we are adding new ideas and therefore new solutions, markets, strategies, etc into the organization.

Big Biz is heavily invested in "proving" that their scientific recruiting techniques...
02:26 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
It's kind of a side-bar, but stepping back past the racism and sexism is the fact (born out by much research) that we are horrible at hiring, period. We don't know how to separate past performance from potential, so we tend to hire folks who look and act like us, because it's comfortable ... (1/3)
02:24 PM - Jun 27, 2023 (Edited)
Nikki Norman
A
The funniest part is that studies have routinely shown that white women benefit more from affirmative action than any other demographic.
02:22 PM - Jun 27, 2023
Kinzie Mat
A
In response to Nikki Norman.
EXACTLY.
02:26 PM - Jun 27, 2023
🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉
A
This explanation works for me (not specifically about affirmative action, but it's applicable).
11:59 AM - Jun 27, 2023
William Tulloch
A
The only time, in college admissions, that less qualified people are chosen over more qualified is when legacy admissions for the children of alumni occur. Those overwhelmingly favor white kids. True affirmative action is selecting for diversity from among the qualified.
11:41 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to William Tulloch.
Exactly. And as a tool to overcome the tendency to uplift one's own group at the expense of others (as throughout history the vast majority of college admins & admissions staff in the U.S. have been white).
11:46 AM - Jun 27, 2023
jpneedleman
A
In response to William Tulloch.
No one every sweats the alumni kids (and I might have been in that category) but if a minority kid with high scores gets and a legacy gets rejected, its an outrage
11:59 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Jen The Muse
A
And those same people get really pissed when I point out white women benefit from it in much higher numbers.
11:30 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Chrissy Dorsey
A
In response to Jen The Muse.
They don’t like to hear that truth!
11:48 AM - Jun 27, 2023

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}